spaces and dashes

Larson, Timothy E.
A general design question here...  Do you base the widths of your dashes and
spaces on the em square, or on the character widths?  Does it matter?  Is
there a best practice?  Is it up to the designer?

Thanks,
Tim

--
Tim Larson        AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
    InterCall, a division of West Corporation

               Remember the Alamo!

smime.p7s (12K) Download Attachment

Re: spaces and dashes

Jason Pagura
Most beginners make their space glyph too wide. That is, in fact, a
leading indicator of an amateur font design, and one I've been guilty
of in the past.

What I've found works is to use the width of the lowercase "i" as a
starting point for the space, and even then I often have to narrow it
down for it to look right.

As for dashes, again, just my personal guidelines and not a rule: the
hyphen should be somewhat narrower than the average lowercase letter
plus regular sidebearings at a height not more than 3/4 x-height, the
em-dash should be about the average width of an uppercase letter with
no sidebearing, and the en-dash is something in-between.

Jason Pagura
zimbach at gmail dot com

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 8:03 AM, Larson, Timothy E. <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A general design question here...  Do you base the widths of your dashes and
> spaces on the em square, or on the character widths?  Does it matter?  Is
> there a best practice?  Is it up to the designer?
>

> Thanks,
> Tim
>
> --
> Tim Larson        AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
>     InterCall, a division of West Corporation
>
>                Remember the Alamo!

Re: spaces and dashes

Raederle
I have a silly question. The base set at the top of font forge has slots for the hyphen, the curly braces, and so on. But it doesn't have slots for the en dash and the em dash and the underscore. I've created these for my font, but in a lot of scroll and search and reading of documentation, I've not figured out where/how to add these.

~ Raederle
Ray-der-lee
www.Raederle.com