Quantcast

rsvg prints 0020 instead of space when using Snellen font

rsvg prints 0020 instead of space when using Snellen font

Federico Bruni
Hi all

I'm having a new issue with this font:
http://radagast.ca/snellen/snellen-font.zip

When I convert an SVG file to PNG or PDF using rsvg-convert (librsvg),
I see a box with 0020 instead of the space. This does not happen when I
use other fonts.
OTOH the SVG always looks fine.

I'm having problems with sending attachments right now, so I've
uploaded the files here:
https://we.tl/tZQRrsyqnJ

The command to convert to PDF is:

rsvg-convert test.svg -f pdf -o test.pdf

Thanks in advance
Federico

Re: rsvg prints 0020 instead of space when using Snellen font

Martin B. Brilliant
Could it be because the space character is not defined in that font?

When I open the SFD in Fontforge I can see that the space character at 0x020 is X’ed out, as are all the characters except the alphabetics.

> On Jun 27, 2016, at 11:35 AM, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all
>
> I'm having a new issue with this font:
> http://radagast.ca/snellen/snellen-font.zip
>
> When I convert an SVG file to PNG or PDF using rsvg-convert (librsvg),
> I see a box with 0020 instead of the space. This does not happen when I
> use other fonts.
> OTOH the SVG always looks fine.
>
> I'm having problems with sending attachments right now, so I've
> uploaded the files here:
> https://we.tl/tZQRrsyqnJ
>
> The command to convert to PDF is:
>
> rsvg-convert test.svg -f pdf -o test.pdf
>
> Thanks in advance
> Federico

Re: rsvg prints 0020 instead of space when using Snellen font

Federico Bruni
How can I define the space character in FontForge?

I googled but couldn't find anything.
I also tried entering U+0020 within the 0x20 cell of a new (forked)
Snellen.sfd file, but I cannot make it work.

Obviously I don't have any background in typography.
I need some good links to go further.

Thanks
Federico

Il giorno lun 27 giu 2016 alle 19:49, Martin B. Brilliant
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:

> Could it be because the space character is not defined in that font?
>
> When I open the SFD in Fontforge I can see that the space character
> at 0x020 is X’ed out, as are all the characters except the
> alphabetics.
>
>>  On Jun 27, 2016, at 11:35 AM, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi all
>>
>>  I'm having a new issue with this font:
>>  http://radagast.ca/snellen/snellen-font.zip
>>
>>  When I convert an SVG file to PNG or PDF using rsvg-convert
>> (librsvg),
>>  I see a box with 0020 instead of the space. This does not happen
>> when I
>>  use other fonts.
>>  OTOH the SVG always looks fine.
>>
>>  I'm having problems with sending attachments right now, so I've
>>  uploaded the files here:
>>  https://we.tl/tZQRrsyqnJ
>>
>>  The command to convert to PDF is:
>>
>>  rsvg-convert test.svg -f pdf -o test.pdf
>>
>>  Thanks in advance
>>  Federico

>>  Attend Shape: An AT&T Tech Expo July 15-16. Meet us at AT&T Park in
>> San
>>  Francisco, CA to explore cutting-edge tech and listen to tech
>> luminaries
>>  present their vision of the future. This family event has something
>> for
>>  everyone, including kids. Get more information and register today.
>>  http://sdm.link/attshape

> Attend Shape: An AT&T Tech Expo July 15-16. Meet us at AT&T Park in
> San
> Francisco, CA to explore cutting-edge tech and listen to tech
> luminaries
> present their vision of the future. This family event has something
> for
> http://sdm.link/attshape

Re: rsvg prints 0020 instead of space when using Snellen font

Martin B. Brilliant
If you need a space, can you use a space from another font? That would be the easy way out.

Otherwise, there is a link to "Design With FontForge” at https://fontforge.github.io/en-US/
and another "Design With FontForge” at https://www.gitbook.com/book/yellowxz/designwithfontforge/details
to get you started with FontForge.

I don’t want to try to teach anybody how to use FontForge.

> On Jun 27, 2016, at 4:33 PM, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How can I define the space character in FontForge?
>
> I googled but couldn't find anything.
> I also tried entering U+0020 within the 0x20 cell of a new (forked)
> Snellen.sfd file, but I cannot make it work.
>
> Obviously I don't have any background in typography.
> I need some good links to go further.
>
> Thanks
> Federico
>
> Il giorno lun 27 giu 2016 alle 19:49, Martin B. Brilliant
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>> Could it be because the space character is not defined in that font?
>>
>> When I open the SFD in Fontforge I can see that the space character
>> at 0x020 is X’ed out, as are all the characters except the
>> alphabetics.
>>
>>> On Jun 27, 2016, at 11:35 AM, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I'm having a new issue with this font:
>>> http://radagast.ca/snellen/snellen-font.zip
>>>
>>> When I convert an SVG file to PNG or PDF using rsvg-convert
>>> (librsvg),
>>> I see a box with 0020 instead of the space. This does not happen
>>> when I
>>> use other fonts.
>>> OTOH the SVG always looks fine.
>>>
>>> I'm having problems with sending attachments right now, so I've
>>> uploaded the files here:
>>> https://we.tl/tZQRrsyqnJ
>>>
>>> The command to convert to PDF is:
>>>
>>> rsvg-convert test.svg -f pdf -o test.pdf
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Federico

Re: rsvg prints 0020 instead of space when using Snellen font

Jason Pagura
The space's Unicode number is u+0020, so that much is correct. To define a space glyph, you just have to assign it a width.

Select the space from the grid in the font view window. Then select Set Width in from the Metrics menu. Enter a value in the Set Width To line of the dialog window. The value doesn't matter but should, for design purposes, be around the average width of a lowercase letter or a bit narrower. You can adjust this later, of course.

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 3:32 PM, Martin B. Brilliant <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you need a space, can you use a space from another font? That would be the easy way out.

Otherwise, there is a link to "Design With FontForge” at https://fontforge.github.io/en-US/
and another "Design With FontForge” at https://www.gitbook.com/book/yellowxz/designwithfontforge/details
to get you started with FontForge.

I don’t want to try to teach anybody how to use FontForge.

> On Jun 27, 2016, at 4:33 PM, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How can I define the space character in FontForge?
>
> I googled but couldn't find anything.
> I also tried entering U+0020 within the 0x20 cell of a new (forked)
> Snellen.sfd file, but I cannot make it work.
>
> Obviously I don't have any background in typography.
> I need some good links to go further.
>
> Thanks
> Federico
>
> Il giorno lun 27 giu 2016 alle 19:49, Martin B. Brilliant
> <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>> Could it be because the space character is not defined in that font?
>>
>> When I open the SFD in Fontforge I can see that the space character
>> at 0x020 is X’ed out, as are all the characters except the
>> alphabetics.
>>
>>> On Jun 27, 2016, at 11:35 AM, Federico Bruni <[hidden email]>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I'm having a new issue with this font:
>>> http://radagast.ca/snellen/snellen-font.zip
>>>
>>> When I convert an SVG file to PNG or PDF using rsvg-convert
>>> (librsvg),
>>> I see a box with 0020 instead of the space. This does not happen
>>> when I
>>> use other fonts.
>>> OTOH the SVG always looks fine.
>>>
>>> I'm having problems with sending attachments right now, so I've
>>> uploaded the files here:
>>> https://we.tl/tZQRrsyqnJ
>>>
>>> The command to convert to PDF is:
>>>
>>> rsvg-convert test.svg -f pdf -o test.pdf
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Federico

Jason Pagura
zimbach at gmail dot com

Re: rsvg prints 0020 instead of space when using Snellen font

Federico Bruni
Il giorno mar 28 giu 2016 alle 4:24, Jason Pagura <[hidden email]>
ha scritto:
> The space's Unicode number is u+0020, so that much is correct. To
> define a space glyph, you just have to assign it a width.
>
> Select the space from the grid in the font view window. Then select
> Set Width in from the Metrics menu. Enter a value in the Set Width To
> line of the dialog window. The value doesn't matter but should, for
> design purposes, be around the average width of a lowercase letter or
> a bit narrower. You can adjust this later, of course.

Thank you Jason! This worked.
I'll try studying FontForge in September...