release?

Kevin Fenzi-4
Greetings.

The last fontforge release (as far as I can tell) is the
20120731-b one.

Are there any plans to do another release anytime soon?
Or is it expected that most folks just use a git checkout?

Thanks,

kevin

Re: release?

Jason Pagura
There are daily builds for the Mac OS X version of FontForge at http://fuuko.libferris.com/osx/packages/
These should be regarded as experimental, but they have come a long way since that last public release from 20120731-b.

For other platforms I think there are some packaging projects underway but I don't know where just now.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Kevin Fenzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings.

The last fontforge release (as far as I can tell) is the
20120731-b one.

Are there any plans to do another release anytime soon?
Or is it expected that most folks just use a git checkout?

Thanks,

kevin

Jason Pagura
zimbach at gmail dot com

Re: release?

On 4 December 2013 18:40, Kevin Fenzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Are there any plans to do another release anytime soon?

When someone steps up to make a release :) Michal Nowakowski made the
last release but hasn't been so active in the project lately.... no
one else has stepped up. However, I hope to get one done by Jan 1st.

> Or is it expected that most folks just use a git checkout?

That is the status quo...

Re: release?

Milla
Windows binaries can be found here:

I'm not sure how up to date they are.

Andrew

On 4 December 2013 23:56, Jason Pagura <[hidden email]> wrote:
There are daily builds for the Mac OS X version of FontForge at http://fuuko.libferris.com/osx/packages/
These should be regarded as experimental, but they have come a long way since that last public release from 20120731-b.

For other platforms I think there are some packaging projects underway but I don't know where just now.

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 3:40 PM, Kevin Fenzi <[hidden email]> wrote:
Greetings.

The last fontforge release (as far as I can tell) is the
20120731-b one.

Are there any plans to do another release anytime soon?
Or is it expected that most folks just use a git checkout?

Thanks,

kevin

Jason Pagura
zimbach at gmail dot com

Re: release?

Dave Crossland

Ancient. I have another, newer windows build going, but it's not quite ready yet.

Re: release?

Paul Hardy
I have a feature request.

I'm the maintainer of GNU Unifont.  Fontforge uses Unifont for its sample glyphs if Unifont is installed, but these are rendered about 14 pixels tall; Unifont glyphs are exactly 16 pixels tall.  Would it be possible to modify Fontforge to display Unifont glyphs so they are exactly 16 pixels tall?  It looks like there is room in the enclosing rectangles.

Right now complicated glyphs appear blurred from anti-aliasing.  There are many complex glyphs in Unifont where every pixel is significant.  I'm attaching a sample from the Tibetan Unicode block (U+0Fxx) as an example, but there are others far worse.

Also note from the lower left-hand glyphs that combining circles that are always single-width aren't always the best, but I consider that very minor.  I have created an SBIT font for Fontforge, by request, that shows combining circles centered depending on the glyph width (single or double charcell).  You can download it from

Because that one version contains combining circles, it is not appropriate for use as a general font, only as a glyph sample.

Thanks,

Paul Hardy

Tibetan-ttf-unifont_original.png (54K) Download Attachment

Re: release?

Kevin Fenzi-4
Sorry, to clarify:

I am (one of) the Fedora fontforge package maintainers. I've had a
request to update it, but I'm not happy just blindly picking some git
release to push to all our users. :)

So, a real source release (where things had been stablized for that
release) would be excellent. Barring that, I guess some known more
stable git hash would be worth trying?

(so, I have 0 interest myself in windows or mac builds, but thanks for
the links :)

kevin

Re: release?

Milla
Will the new Windows build include Python support?

Thanks,

Andrew

On 5 December 2013 14:57, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ancient. I have another, newer windows build going, but it's not quite ready yet.

Re: release?

Matthew Petroff
What are you using for your build system? I started making a new build by cross-compiling on Linux with MXE a while ago [1], but lost interest as I don't use Windows much anymore and ran into issues with my X server build.

-Matthew

[1] http://mxe.cc/

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ancient. I have another, newer windows build going, but it's not quite ready yet.

Re: release?

Dave Crossland
Hi

Dr Ben Martin did it, and as far as I know, everything he did is in
the git master. Ben, could you confirm that this is true?

The development of the windows build isn't ready - it lacks debug
mode, so when it crashes, its not possible to post a backtrace to get
the crash fixed - but that should be done in January.

On 5 December 2013 16:45, Matthew Petroff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What are you using for your build system? I started making a new build by
> cross-compiling on Linux with MXE a while ago [1], but lost interest as I
> don't use Windows much anymore and ran into issues with my X server build.
>
> -Matthew
>
> [1] http://mxe.cc/
>

> On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Ancient. I have another, newer windows build going, but it's not quite
>> ready yet.

Cheers
Dave

Joe

Re: release?

Joe
On December 5, 2013 08:13:34 AM Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> Sorry, to clarify:
>
> I am (one of) the Fedora fontforge package maintainers. I've had a
> request to update it, but I'm not happy just blindly picking some git
> release to push to all our users. :)

I agree you'll want to avoid picking a random release at the moment.

I'm not satisfied with our current make system, and have pushed off doing
anything about it since it got a major overhaul back in 2012, and as you
might see in the list of issues, it could use some edits.

as a compromise between what you are looking for and what we're trying for
We can try for Jan 1st - at minimum, call it git tag marker 2.0.20140101

> So, a real source release (where things had been stablized for that
> release) would be excellent. Barring that, I guess some known more
> stable git hash would be worth trying?

Seeing such a large number of issues that have yet to be solved, I'm
doubtful there is going to be stable release soon, but as you've mentioned,
and others in the past have mentioned as well, FontForge hasn't put out a
version that can be considered an update - yet.

Joe

Re: release?

Joe
On December 5, 2013 07:38:36 AM Paul Hardy wrote:
> I have a feature request.

Hi Paul, that sounds like a good request.
If you (or anyone) can find where in the code to modify it, that would be
great. It's likely just a number that needs to be changed somewhere like
maybe 14 to 16 or similar.

Otherwise - please add it to the issues to figure out on github.

Thanks,
Joe

Re: release?

On 5 December 2013 15:49, Andrew Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will the new Windows build include Python support?

That's the plan, yes

--
Cheers
Dave

Re: release?

Paul Hardy
Joe,

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Jose Da Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
On December 5, 2013 07:38:36 AM Paul Hardy wrote:
> I have a feature request.

Hi Paul, that sounds like a good request.
If you (or anyone) can find where in the code to modify it, that would be
great. It's likely just a number that needs to be changed somewhere like
maybe 14 to 16 or similar.

Otherwise - please add it to the issues to figure out on github.

Thanks,
Joe

Dave Crossland added it to the Fontforge issue tracker here:

Paul

Re: release?

On 5 December 2013 16:45, Matthew Petroff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What are you using for your build system? I started making a new build by
> cross-compiling on Linux with MXE a while ago [1], but lost interest as I
> don't use Windows much anymore and ran into issues with my X server build.

mingw cross compiling with make, I believe.

--
Cheers
Dave

Re: release?

On 6 December 2013 11:36, Jose Da Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On December 5, 2013 08:13:34 AM Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> Sorry, to clarify:
>>
>> I am (one of) the Fedora fontforge package maintainers. I've had a
>> request to update it, but I'm not happy just blindly picking some git
>> release to push to all our users. :)
>
> I agree you'll want to avoid picking a random release at the moment.
>
> I'm not satisfied with our current make system, and have pushed off doing
> anything about it since it got a major overhaul back in 2012, and as you
> might see in the list of issues, it could use some edits.
>
> as a compromise between what you are looking for and what we're trying for
> We can try for Jan 1st - at minimum, call it git tag marker 2.0.20140101
>
>> So, a real source release (where things had been stablized for that
>> release) would be excellent. Barring that, I guess some known more
>> stable git hash would be worth trying?
>
> Seeing such a large number of issues that have yet to be solved, I'm
> doubtful there is going to be stable release soon, but as you've mentioned,
> and others in the past have mentioned as well, FontForge hasn't put out a
> version that can be considered an update - yet.

Actually, since there has been so much stability work since
2012-07-31, I do think picking any random git release at the moment
would be okay.

However, I expect a couple of major features to land this month, so I
agree, shooting for 14-01-01 makes sense.

Re: release?

Jason Pagura
I've noticed the Mac builds on http://fuuko.libferris.com/osx/packages/ have slowed down. The most recent is dated 04-Dec-2013 19:26, whereas they had until recently been posted at least daily. Is everything OK in Australia?

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 6 December 2013 11:36, Jose Da Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On December 5, 2013 08:13:34 AM Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> Sorry, to clarify:
>>
>> I am (one of) the Fedora fontforge package maintainers. I've had a
>> request to update it, but I'm not happy just blindly picking some git
>> release to push to all our users. :)
>
> I agree you'll want to avoid picking a random release at the moment.
>
> I'm not satisfied with our current make system, and have pushed off doing
> anything about it since it got a major overhaul back in 2012, and as you
> might see in the list of issues, it could use some edits.
>
> as a compromise between what you are looking for and what we're trying for
> We can try for Jan 1st - at minimum, call it git tag marker 2.0.20140101
>
>> So, a real source release (where things had been stablized for that
>> release) would be excellent. Barring that, I guess some known more
>> stable git hash would be worth trying?
>
> Seeing such a large number of issues that have yet to be solved, I'm
> doubtful there is going to be stable release soon, but as you've mentioned,
> and others in the past have mentioned as well, FontForge hasn't put out a
> version that can be considered an update - yet.

Actually, since there has been so much stability work since
2012-07-31, I do think picking any random git release at the moment
would be okay.

However, I expect a couple of major features to land this month, so I
agree, shooting for 14-01-01 makes sense.

Jason Pagura
zimbach at gmail dot com

Re: release?

Dave Crossland

Ben, all OK there? :)

On 12 Dec 2013 12:21, "Jason Pagura" <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've noticed the Mac builds on http://fuuko.libferris.com/osx/packages/ have slowed down. The most recent is dated 04-Dec-2013 19:26, whereas they had until recently been posted at least daily. Is everything OK in Australia?

On Sat, Dec 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 6 December 2013 11:36, Jose Da Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On December 5, 2013 08:13:34 AM Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> Sorry, to clarify:
>>
>> I am (one of) the Fedora fontforge package maintainers. I've had a
>> request to update it, but I'm not happy just blindly picking some git
>> release to push to all our users. :)
>
> I agree you'll want to avoid picking a random release at the moment.
>
> I'm not satisfied with our current make system, and have pushed off doing
> anything about it since it got a major overhaul back in 2012, and as you
> might see in the list of issues, it could use some edits.
>
> as a compromise between what you are looking for and what we're trying for
> We can try for Jan 1st - at minimum, call it git tag marker 2.0.20140101
>
>> So, a real source release (where things had been stablized for that
>> release) would be excellent. Barring that, I guess some known more
>> stable git hash would be worth trying?
>
> Seeing such a large number of issues that have yet to be solved, I'm
> doubtful there is going to be stable release soon, but as you've mentioned,
> and others in the past have mentioned as well, FontForge hasn't put out a
> version that can be considered an update - yet.

Actually, since there has been so much stability work since
2012-07-31, I do think picking any random git release at the moment
would be okay.

However, I expect a couple of major features to land this month, so I
agree, shooting for 14-01-01 makes sense.

Jason Pagura
zimbach at gmail dot com

Joe

Re: release?

Joe
On December 7, 2013 04:01:42 PM Dave Crossland wrote:
> However, I expect a couple of major features to land this month, so I
> agree, shooting for 14-01-01 makes sense.

Time to tag FontForge?