hinting debugger and composite glyphs

Werner LEMBERG

George,

I've just tried to debug the composite glyph `atilde' in Vera.ttf at
10pts/72dpi.  There is a small buglet, namely a vertical offset error
of the current instruction pointer (in the instruction windows) as
soon as the debugging of the tilde starts.  Just try it, and you'll
see what I mean.

BTW, is there any reason why the pixelization of the base glyph is no
longer displayed as soon as the tilde is debugged?  I suggest to make
the pixels of all glyph components visible, together with the hinted
outlines.

    Werner

Re: hinting debugger and composite glyphs

George Williams
On Mon, 2005-06-06 at 08:57, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> I've just tried to debug the composite glyph `atilde' in Vera.ttf at
> 10pts/72dpi.  There is a small buglet, namely a vertical offset error
> of the current instruction pointer (in the instruction windows) as
> soon as the debugging of the tilde starts.  Just try it, and you'll
> see what I mean.
Oh dear, it's much worse than that. ff fails to detect that it has
switched glyphs and doesn't update the instruction list (ie. it is still
displaying the instructions of the "a" when it should be showing those
of "~"). This patch will fix the problem in most cases.

> BTW, is there any reason why the pixelization of the base glyph is no
> longer displayed as soon as the tilde is debugged?  I suggest to make
> the pixels of all glyph components visible, together with the hinted
> outlines.
Of course there's a reason:-) It just isn't a very good one. Ignorance
on my part. I'm relying on freetype's execution context to tell me
everything I need to know about the glyph.

In the case of a composite glyph the execution context only contains
information on the component that is currently active (or at least I
don't know how to get more info out of it than that). Indeed I can't
even detect reliably when the context switches from one component to
another.

I may need to ask David...