[fontforge-users] Release Announcement

Frank Trampe
The latest release of FontForge (tagged 20141126) is now available via the Git repository and in the Launchpad repository for Debian-like platforms. I expect there to be packages for Windows and Macintosh in the next day or two.

Release notes follow.

As always, this release fixes a large number of bugs and user interface quirks.

This release includes enhanced support for using native U. F. O. data structures (in groups.plist and kerning.plist) for exporting class kerning. This functionality was previously only easily addressable for data imported from a U. F. O. that used those data structures. There is now a check box on the generate fonts options box for this.

Please note that FontForge uses by default the group names recommended in the U. F. O. 3 specification, which are not yet heavily supported by other software. If we are unsuccessful in convincing the developers of other software packages to add support for these naming schemes, we will probably add another check box for using the @MMK syntax in the next release. (The core functionality is already in place as necessary to round-trip existing U. F. O. directories.)

It is also worth noting that native U. F. O. kerning assumes one unified look-up and has no way to deal with multiple scripts or subtables, so storing information in this way might cause an undesirable loss of information. As a result, we have left exporting this information to the feature file as the default behavior.

This release also adds theming support for many user interface parameters.

Re: Release Announcement

Frank Trampe
Oops. I sent an old version of the release notes. Ignore those and read these.

As always, this release fixes a large number of bugs and user interface quirks.

This release includes enhanced support for using native U. F. O. data structures (in groups.plist and kerning.plist) for exporting class kerning. This functionality was previously only easily addressable for data imported from a U. F. O. that used those data structures. There is now a check box on the generate fonts options box for this.

It is worth noting that native U. F. O. kerning assumes one unified look-up and has no way to deal with multiple scripts or subtables, so storing information in this way might cause an undesirable loss of information. As a result, we have left exporting this information to the feature file as the default behavior.