[fontforge-users] Installing from source

[fontforge-users] Installing from source

Séamas Ó Brógáin-2
Some time ago I received help from Dave and others on this list in
installing Fontforge from source (on Ubuntu 14.04). Recently it began
misbehaving, and I’m looking for the same help again. (Unfortunately the
notes I made at the time were lost when my hard disk crashed before
Christmas.)

When the command “Add extrema” was invoked (whether by keyboard shortcut
or from the menu) the application would freeze every time, and the
computer itself would also freeze, forcing me to switch it off and
restart.

Reinstalling from Ubuntu Software Centre doesn’t work, and trying to
launch it from the terminal gives the message “symbol lookup
error: /usr/lib/libfontforge.so.1: undefined symbol: GImageRead_Jpeg.”

Reinstalling with the PPA (ppa.launchpad.net/fontforge/fontforge/ubuntu)
produces a broken version, in which preferences cannot be saved. (There
is no OK button in the preferences panel.)

Reinstalling from source stops at the line ./configure (“No such file or
directory”).

Help, please!

Re: Installing from source

Dave Crossland

On 13 March 2015 at 18:55, Séamas Ó Brógáin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Reinstalling with the PPA (ppa.launchpad.net/fontforge/fontforge/ubuntu)
produces a broken version, in which preferences cannot be saved. (There
is no OK button in the preferences panel.)

Resize the window?

Re: Installing from source

Séamas Ó Brógáin-2

> Resize the window?

Ah, no, I did think of that!

Re: Installing from source

Séamas Ó Brógáin-2
Anyone able to suggest how I can get Fontforge to install from source
(or otherwise)?

Re: Installing from source

Frank Trampe
bootstrap needs to run before configure. How are you launching the build?