[fontforge-users] Dieresis outside of line height

[fontforge-users] Dieresis outside of line height

Manfred Kooistra
(I have sent this message to the mailing list from my mobile phone, but it seems not to have arrived, since it doesn't show up in the mailing list archives, so I'm resending it from my laptop. Sorry, if you receive it twice.)

Hello,

I want to create a handwriting font to letter my comics, but when I write in my font, the dots (dieresis) above the capital U-umlaut (Ü) lie outside the line height.

I have attached a screenshot that shows the problem.

In the image you see Lucida Grande (top) and my font (bottom). I have selected the text, making the line height visible.

When I open Lucida in Fontforge, the ascender line runs through the middle of the dieresis, but when I select text written in Lucida, the line height stretches to above the ascender line and includes the dieresis.

In my font the dieresis lies on the ascender line, too, but when I select text written in my font, the line height stops at the ascender line.

I have copied all the metrics from the general and the OS/2 tab from Lucida to my font, but the difference in line height remains.

What did I miss, and how can I solve this problem?

Ben

Re: Dieresis outside of line height

ivan louette
Just my two cents as a beginner : did you try to create a renamed copy of Lucida and replace Lucida characters by your own ones ?

Otherwise you could also change the line spacing in your drawing program while typing text (for example use a multiple of the line height or eventually a fixed heigh).

ivan

http://p.sf.net/sfu/gigenet

Hmm, no. All "is offset" unchecked and the values entered according to http://www.designwithfontforge.com/en-US/Line_Spacing.html

Re: Dieresis outside of line height

Manfred Kooistra
I began with that but then started again with an empty font, because the metrics of my font aren't like Lucida.

Re: Dieresis outside of line height

Hi

Cool. Try going to Font info, os/2, metrics, and ticking all the offset checkboxes and setting the values all to zero, and see if that helps :)