[fontforge-users] A few problems, kern pairing doesn't seem to work, Windows 7

[fontforge-users] A few problems, kern pairing doesn't seem to work, Windows 7

Dag Øivind Undseth
I have a recent version of FontForge for Windows, however I am hardly
getting anywhere with FontForge and I don't know why.

I am trying to make use of kern pairing, but no matter which way I do it
when following the official guide that deal with precisely kern pairing,
it doesn't work after I generate a font for use in Windows.

I try to get the 'A' closer to the 'V', but there is no change in the end
when trying to use the font I generated.

Does anyone have an idea why my font doesn't show the horisontal kerning I
set for pair of glyphs? It is as if kern pairing by classes doesn't work
at all.

Does FontForge even work with Windows 7?
Are there any limitations or things that just doesn't work on Windows 7
for some reason?

Dag

Re: A few problems, kern pairing doesn't seem to work, Windows 7

Thomas Shinnick
This problem - getting kerning to work reliably on Windows - drove me to pause one project and take a vacation fixing bugs...

It's been a while...  You don't say which applications you checking kerning with.  It completely broke my mind trying to make MSWord do anything with kerning.  You have to turn on kerning in MSWord!  I mean, what credibility does Microsoft have, anyway?
    Word 2003 http://www.word.tips.net/T001130_Changing_Kerning.html
    Word 2010 http://wordribbon.tips.net/T012516_Changing_Kerning.html

Wordpad has its own problems, but sometimes reacts better than MSWord.

And then using the various browsers with a webpage referencing a TTF file can show perfection, sometimes.  Firefox better than others, surprisingly.

No magic answers here, but my deepest sympathies and understanding, fershur!

On 24 August 2014 17:01, Dag Øivind Undseth <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is as if kern pairing by classes doesn't work
at all.

When you generate the font, you have to tick the 'OpenType' option in the Options dialog.

Re: A few problems, kern pairing doesn't seem to work, Windows 7

Dag Øivind Undseth
Correction:
In the 'Open Office Writer' software, to set the kerning between two
letters, one has to highlight the FIRST letter (and not both). Otherwise,
the second letter has the kerning set for the following third letter as
well.

I've since learned now that Adobe Photoshop has an 'optical' and 'metrics'
setting for characters in addition to the preset values on the menu.
'Optical' automatically set the kerning (and it has an effect), while
'metrics' has no discernable effect off the font I made.

I found a reddit post that seem to agree on that typography shouldn't be
done in Photoshop.
No sign of pair kerning working in Open Office Writer though when already
have been set in the font I made.

Re: A few problems, kern pairing doesn't seem to work, Windows 7

Dag Øivind Undseth
I solved my issue. Kerning pairs of glyphs now show up as expected when
using my font.

After editing the metadata for a subtable, I have managed to fix my issue
of my font now showing the kerning I set when making the font prior to
'generation' of the font.

Specifically, under 'lookup' and 'GPOS' default naming was set to:
'kern' Horizontal Kerning in Latin lookup 0 (which seem to be ok)

and the subtable was by default set to:
'kern' Horizontal Kerning in Latin lookup 0-1 (which was eh flawed)

Changing the metadata name for the subtable to the following helped:
'kern' Horizontal Kerning in Latin lookup 1 (this worked)

Dag