Quantcast

[fontforge-devel] cannot generate bitmap through python interface

[fontforge-devel] cannot generate bitmap through python interface

Pierre Hanser
Forwarded from fontforge-users were bitmap fonts seem deprecated

the question is nearly general about the python interface, as there are
many other usages for tuples in the interface.

hello

I've a really small python script that tries to generate a BDF file from
a ttf one

--------------------------------
#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys, fontforge

def do1file(filename):
    font = fontforge.open(filename)

    size = 23
    bpp = 4
    u = tuple((((bpp << 16) + size), 25))
    print u, type(u)

    print "before", font.bitmapSizes
    font.bitmapSizes = u
    print "after", font.bitmapSizes

    font.regenBitmaps(u)
    print "regenerated"

    font.generate("u.bdf", bitmap_resolution=100)

for name in sys.argv[1:]:
    do1file(name)

------------
and the output is:

(262167, 25) <type 'tuple'>
before ()
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./any2bdf.py", line 30, in <module>
    do1file(name)
  File "./any2bdf.py", line 18, in do1file
    font.bitmapSizes = u
SystemError: new style getargs format but argument is not a tuple

I do not understand why my tuple is not recognized as such!

Any idea?

I use git current version of fontforge.

If I do it in graphical interface, as long as I defined LANG=C before
running fontforge, I can get the BDF correctly.

There is still the bug that if I run fontforge with LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
the generation fails because the matching of bitmap sizes never succeed.
But this is not my current subject.

--
        Pierre