Quantcast

[fontforge-devel] cannot bootstrao fontforge!

12

[fontforge-devel] cannot bootstrao fontforge!

Apostolos Syropoulos
Hello,

Today I used the following command to get the latest source of FF
libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.2
git clone git://github.com/fontforge/fontforge.git

Although the instructions at

https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md

say that one should run cinfigure, there is no configure file
and so one has to use the bootstrap script. Here is what I get:

apostolo@nadya>> ./bootstrap
bootstrap: running: libtoolize --quiet
bootstrap: running: git clone --depth 365
'http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnulib.git' 'gnulib'
Cloning into 'gnulib'...
remote: Counting objects: 15729, done.
Receiving objects: 100% (15729/15729), 9.20 MiB | 712.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (10828/10828), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
bootstrap: running: git submodule init
bootstrap: running: git submodule update
bootstrap: running: gnulib/gnulib-tool --aux-dir=config --m4-base=m4
--libtool --symlink --import warnings manywarnings c-strtod
gethostname getline iconv inet_ntop localeconv progname...
Module list with included dependencies (indented):
join: -: seek error
join: write error
    absolute-header
    alloca-opt
    arpa_inet
  c-strtod
    dosname
    errno
    error
    exitfail
    extensions
    extern-inline
    fcntl-h
    fd-hook
    float
    getdelim
  gethostname
  getline
    gettext-h
    gettimeofday
    havelib
  iconv
    include_next
  inet_ntop
    intprops
    largefile
    locale
  localeconv
    lstat
    malloc-posix
  manywarnings
    memchr
    msvc-inval
    msvc-nothrow
    multiarch
    netinet_in
    pathmax
  progname
    realloc-posix
    secure_getenv
    size_max
    snippet/_Noreturn
    snippet/arg-nonnull
    snippet/c++defs
    snippet/warn-on-use
    socketlib
    sockets
    socklen
    ssize_t
    stat
    stdalign
    stdarg
    stdbool
    stddef
    stdint
    stdio
    stdlib
  strcase
    strdup-posix
    strerror
    strerror-override
    string
    strings
  strndup
    strnlen
  strtok_r
    sys_socket
    sys_stat
    sys_time
    sys_types
    sys_uio
    tempname
    time
    tmpdir
  tmpfile
    unistd
    vasnprintf
    vasprintf
    verify
  warnings
    wchar
  xalloc
    xalloc-die
    xalloc-oversized
    xsize
  xvasprintf
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
Notice from module error:
  If you are using GNU gettext version 0.16.1 or older, add the
following options
  to XGETTEXT_OPTIONS in your po/Makevars:
    --flag=error:3:c-format --flag=error_at_line:5:c-format
Notice from module vasprintf:
  If you are using GNU gettext version 0.16.1 or older, add the
following options
  to XGETTEXT_OPTIONS in your po/Makevars:
    --flag=asprintf:2:c-format --flag=vasprintf:2:c-format
Notice from module xvasprintf:
  If you are using GNU gettext version 0.16.1 or older, add the
following options
  to XGETTEXT_OPTIONS in your po/Makevars: --flag=xasprintf:1:c-format
File list:
  build-aux/config.rpath
  build-aux/snippet/_Noreturn.h
  build-aux/snippet/arg-nonnull.h
  build-aux/snippet/c++defs.h
  build-aux/snippet/warn-on-use.h
  lib/alloca.in.h
  lib/arpa_inet.in.h
  lib/asnprintf.c
  lib/asprintf.c
  lib/c-strtod.c
  lib/c-strtod.h
  lib/dosname.h
  lib/errno.in.h
  lib/error.c
  lib/error.h
  lib/exitfail.c
  lib/exitfail.h
  lib/fcntl.in.h
  lib/fd-hook.c
  lib/fd-hook.h
  lib/float+.h
  lib/float.c
  lib/float.in.h
  lib/getdelim.c
  lib/gethostname.c
  lib/getline.c
  lib/gettext.h
  lib/gettimeofday.c
  lib/inet_ntop.c
  lib/intprops.h
  lib/itold.c
  lib/locale.in.h
  lib/localeconv.c
  lib/lstat.c
  lib/malloc.c
  lib/memchr.c
  lib/memchr.valgrind
  lib/msvc-inval.c
  lib/msvc-inval.h
  lib/msvc-nothrow.c
  lib/msvc-nothrow.h
  lib/netinet_in.in.h
  lib/pathmax.h
  lib/printf-args.c
  lib/printf-args.h
  lib/printf-parse.c
  lib/printf-parse.h
  lib/progname.c
  lib/progname.h
  lib/realloc.c
  lib/secure_getenv.c
  lib/size_max.h
  lib/sockets.c
  lib/sockets.h
  lib/stat.c
  lib/stdalign.in.h
  lib/stdarg.in.h
  lib/stdbool.in.h
  lib/stddef.in.h
  lib/stdint.in.h
  lib/stdio.in.h
  lib/stdlib.in.h
  lib/strcasecmp.c
  lib/strdup.c
  lib/strerror-override.c
  lib/strerror-override.h
  lib/strerror.c
  lib/string.in.h
  lib/strings.in.h
  lib/strncasecmp.c
  lib/strndup.c
  lib/strnlen.c
  lib/strtok_r.c
  lib/sys_socket.c
  lib/sys_socket.in.h
  lib/sys_stat.in.h
  lib/sys_time.in.h
  lib/sys_types.in.h
  lib/sys_uio.in.h
  lib/tempname.c
  lib/tempname.h
  lib/time.in.h
  lib/tmpdir.c
  lib/tmpdir.h
  lib/tmpfile.c
  lib/unistd.c
  lib/unistd.in.h
  lib/vasnprintf.c
  lib/vasnprintf.h
  lib/vasprintf.c
  lib/verify.h
  lib/w32sock.h
  lib/wchar.in.h
  lib/xalloc-die.c
  lib/xalloc-oversized.h
  lib/xalloc.h
  lib/xasprintf.c
  lib/xmalloc.c
  lib/xsize.c
  lib/xsize.h
  lib/xvasprintf.c
  lib/xvasprintf.h
  m4/00gnulib.m4
  m4/absolute-header.m4
  m4/alloca.m4
  m4/arpa_inet_h.m4
  m4/c-strtod.m4
  m4/errno_h.m4
  m4/error.m4
  m4/exponentd.m4
  m4/extensions.m4
  m4/extern-inline.m4
  m4/fcntl-o.m4
  m4/fcntl_h.m4
  m4/float_h.m4
  m4/getdelim.m4
  m4/gethostname.m4
  m4/getline.m4
  m4/gettimeofday.m4
  m4/gnulib-common.m4
  m4/iconv.m4
  m4/include_next.m4
  m4/inet_ntop.m4
  m4/intmax_t.m4
  m4/inttypes_h.m4
  m4/largefile.m4
  m4/lib-ld.m4
  m4/lib-link.m4
  m4/lib-prefix.m4
  m4/locale_h.m4
  m4/localeconv.m4
  m4/longlong.m4
  m4/lstat.m4
  m4/malloc.m4
  m4/manywarnings.m4
  m4/math_h.m4
  m4/memchr.m4
  m4/mmap-anon.m4
  m4/msvc-inval.m4
  m4/msvc-nothrow.m4
  m4/multiarch.m4
  m4/netinet_in_h.m4
  m4/off_t.m4
  m4/pathmax.m4
  m4/printf.m4
  m4/realloc.m4
  m4/secure_getenv.m4
  m4/size_max.m4
  m4/socketlib.m4
  m4/sockets.m4
  m4/socklen.m4
  m4/sockpfaf.m4
  m4/ssize_t.m4
  m4/stat.m4
  m4/stdalign.m4
  m4/stdarg.m4
  m4/stdbool.m4
  m4/stddef_h.m4
  m4/stdint.m4
  m4/stdint_h.m4
  m4/stdio_h.m4
  m4/stdlib_h.m4
  m4/strcase.m4
  m4/strdup.m4
  m4/strerror.m4
  m4/string_h.m4
  m4/strings_h.m4
  m4/strndup.m4
  m4/strnlen.m4
  m4/strtok_r.m4
  m4/sys_socket_h.m4
  m4/sys_stat_h.m4
  m4/sys_time_h.m4
  m4/sys_types_h.m4
  m4/sys_uio_h.m4
  m4/tempname.m4
  m4/time_h.m4
  m4/tmpdir.m4
  m4/tmpfile.m4
  m4/unistd_h.m4
  m4/vasnprintf.m4
  m4/vasprintf.m4
  m4/warn-on-use.m4
  m4/warnings.m4
  m4/wchar_h.m4
  m4/wchar_t.m4
  m4/wint_t.m4
  m4/xalloc.m4
  m4/xsize.m4
  m4/xvasprintf.m4
Creating directory ./lib
Creating directory ./config/snippet
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
join: -: seek error
join: write error
Creating lib/Makefile.am
Creating m4/gnulib-cache.m4
Creating m4/gnulib-comp.m4
Creating ./lib/.gitignore
Finished.

You may need to add #include directives for the following .h files.
  #include <arpa/inet.h>
  #include <locale.h>
  #include <stdio.h>
  #include <string.h>
  #include <strings.h>
  #include <unistd.h>
  #include "c-strtod.h"
  #include "progname.h"
  #include "xalloc.h"
  #include "xvasprintf.h"
  #if HAVE_ICONV
  # include <iconv.h>
  #endif

You may need to use the following Makefile variables when linking.
Use them in <program>_LDADD when linking a program, or
in <library>_a_LDFLAGS or <library>_la_LDFLAGS when linking a library.
  $(GETHOSTNAME_LIB)
  $(INET_NTOP_LIB)
  $(LIBSOCKET)
  $(LTLIBICONV) when linking with libtool, $(LIBICONV) otherwise
  $(LTLIBINTL) when linking with libtool, $(LIBINTL) otherwise

Don't forget to
  - add "lib/Makefile" to AC_CONFIG_FILES in ./configure.ac,
  - mention "lib" in SUBDIRS in Makefile.am,
  - mention "-I m4" in ACLOCAL_AMFLAGS in Makefile.am,
  - mention "m4/gnulib-cache.m4" in EXTRA_DIST in Makefile.am,
  - invoke gl_EARLY in ./configure.ac, right after AC_PROG_CC_C99,
  - invoke gl_INIT in ./configure.ac.
Copying file compile
Copying file install-sh
Copying file mdate-sh
Copying file texinfo.tex
Copying file depcomp
Copying file config.guess
Copying file config.sub
Copying file INSTALL
bootstrap: running: autoreconf --symlink --install
/usr/share/aclocal/aalib.m4:12: warning: underquoted definition of AM_PATH_AALIB
/usr/share/aclocal/aalib.m4:12:   run info Automake 'Extending aclocal'
/usr/share/aclocal/aalib.m4:12:   or see
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Extending-aclocal
m4/gnulib-comp.m4:199: warning: macro 'AM_ICONV' not found in library
m4/gnulib-comp.m4:271: warning: macro 'AM_STDBOOL_H' not found in library
missing file lib/error.c
configure.ac:415: error: expected source file, required through
AC_LIBSOURCES, not found
m4/gnulib-comp.m4:139: gl_INIT is expanded from...
configure.ac:415: the top level
autom4te: gm4 failed with exit status: 1
aclocal: error: echo failed with exit status: 1
autoreconf: aclocal failed with exit status: 1

I am using

autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69
automake (GNU automake) 1.15
libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.2

 Any help/assistance to solve this problem would be really appreciated!

A.S.

--
Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, GREECE

jb

Re: cannot bootstrao fontforge!

jb
Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

> Although the instructions at
>
> https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
>
> say that one should run cinfigure, there is no configure file
> and so one has to use the bootstrap script. Here is what I get:
>
> apostolo@nadya>> ./bootstrap
>  Any help/assistance to solve this problem would be really appreciated!

This has been the situation for years. The children who create
software these days don't have a clue.

There is a older tarfile at sourceforge that actually works. Try that.

Re: cannot bootstrao fontforge!

Matijs van Zuijlen-2
Hi Apostolos,

On 27-07-16 17:50, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Today I used the following command to get the latest source of FF
> libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.2
> git clone git://github.com/fontforge/fontforge.git
>
> Although the instructions at
>
> https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md
>
> say that one should run cinfigure, there is no configure file
This is a bug in CONTRIBUTING.md. It should tell you to run bootstrap
first (as it does later on in the instructions for creating a .deb
package). Running bootstrap works fine for me.

> and so one has to use the bootstrap script. Here is what I get:
>
> apostolo@nadya>> ./bootstrap
> bootstrap: running: libtoolize --quiet
> bootstrap: running: git clone --depth 365
> 'http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnulib.git' 'gnulib'
> Cloning into 'gnulib'...
>
> [...]
>
> join: -: seek error
> join: write error
This seems to be the source of the problem. Is there a problem with the
disk?

> [...]
>
> missing file lib/error.c

This should be in the gnulib repository cloned above. Can you try:

  cd gnulib
  git status

> [...]
>
> I am using
>
> autoconf (GNU Autoconf) 2.69
> automake (GNU automake) 1.15
> libtool (GNU libtool) 2.4.2

These all look fine to me.

>  Any help/assistance to solve this problem would be really appreciated!
>
> A.S.

Kind regards,
Matijs

On 28-07-16 09:52, Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:
> This is a bug in CONTRIBUTING.md. It should tell you to run bootstrap
> first (as it does later on in the instructions for creating a .deb
> package).

This bug has been fixed now.

--
Matijs

jb

Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:

> This bug has been fixed now.

It will be fixed when you figure out how to put up a tarfile for
donwload then

./configure
make
make install

and ditch all this mentally-retarded shithub garbage.

Re: cannot bootstrao fontforge!

Daniel Kahn Gillmor-7
On Thu 2016-07-28 10:28:10 -0400, jb wrote:
> It will be fixed when you figure out how to put up a tarfile for
> donwload then
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> and ditch all this mentally-retarded shithub garbage.

This kind of insulting vitriol is inappropriate in this forum.  It is
also ineffective at accomplishing whatever you're hoping to accomplish.
Please keep a civil tone on this public mailing list (and others).

Modern development is often done with distributed revision control
systems. Compared to tarballs, they allow a much finer-grained
representation of source history; cryptographically stronger file
integrity checks; more comprehensible merging of branches of
development; and lower bandwidth consumption when synchronizing between
developers.

There are some use cases where it's worth arguing for tarballs, but none
of them warrant the kind of abuse in your message.  Please be kind to
your fellow developers and users who participate here.

Regards,

     --dkg

jb

Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> This kind of insulting vitriol is inappropriate in this forum.  It is
> also ineffective at accomplishing whatever you're hoping to accomplish.
> Please keep a civil tone on this public mailing list (and others).

When you get your God Certificate, take a scan and send it over.
Until then, you ain't nothin' but self-important doodly-squat.

> Modern development

is shit. There, fixed that for you.

And the proof is, the original post.

>  Please be kind to
> your fellow developers and users who participate here.

I am being exceptionally kind to the original poster. Rather than
waste hours of his life on shit, I told him what to do that works.

Grab the tarfile off sourceforge and

./configure
make
make install

Finished. Easy-peasy. Worst cases is a few --with-somethingorother
flags. No wrist action on the erect penis required.

OP, you'll thank me. The shithub stuff is ghastly.

On 01-08-16 09:06, jb wrote:
>>  Please be kind to
>> your fellow developers and users who participate here.
>

> I am being exceptionally kind to the original poster. Rather than
> waste hours of his life on shit, I told him what to do that works.

You are also being exceptionally unkind to other people, while not
reading the actual context.

Regards,
Matijs

jb

Matijs van Zuijlen wrote:

> You are also being exceptionally unkind to other people, while not
> reading the actual context.

The other people don't deserve kindness. Their work is crap.
Fontforge has gone nowhere for ten years ... no, I take that back,.
It has gone *backwards* for ten years because acne-riddled
teeny-boppers living in Mom's garage are too concerned with how cool
they are and not how well the software builds or how well it works
or how thorough and accurate the documents are or ... anything. Just
how many strokes they can get in on their pee-pees.

Just the facts, ma'am. People are better off pulling down an
'ancient' version  in a format you can actually *use* without
spending your life on nonsense (most of which does not work) and
going with that.

Look around : what will you see ? People who spend years making a
mess, then deciding "Oh this doesn't work, we need to make a new
one." Maybe if you had a real plan and standards and goals and
testing in the first place, people wouldn't have to ditch Fontforge
for a bunch of vaporware (which will *also* be a pile of crap
because "modern" development couldn't find its ass with both hands
in a dark room. "Modern" is apparently a synonym for incoherent,
unstable, undocumented, disorganized pointless *shit*, and I can
illustrate that a hundred times over.)

We were better off in 1980.

I wish this were not true, but it is. Demonstrably.

Cruel to be kind, ya know ?

Re: cannot bootstrao fontforge!

Frank Trampe
I was not thrilled about adding the bootstrap layer to FontForge, but it builds just fine for me and for many others. It would be relatively easy to identify and to diagnose the problem here if a certain party were not so insistent on turning the thread into a whirlwind of hateful statements and obscene language. FontForge has its share of inherent flaws, but they don't do nearly as much to alienate users as getting a frighteningly angry tirade from a stranger when trying to ask a question.

jb

Frank Trampe wrote:

> I was not thrilled about adding the bootstrap layer to FontForge, but it
> builds just fine for me and for many others.

And I can speak Chinese and so can many others. Oh goody goody, that
makes everything perfect.

The FACT, as evidenced by the original article on this topic, is
that it does *not* "build just fine" for most people.

Most people who try to build it just go away. In disgust.

> It would be relatively easy
> to identify and to diagnose the problem here

If it would be that easy, then why didn't it happen five years ago
when I brought it up ? When the README and other doc files bore *no
resemblance whatsoever* to the code ? When nothing they said to do
worked ?

And what was the answer then ? Just a bunch of hogwash, like now.
Nothing solved, nothing addressed, just a bunch of hot air and
butthurt snivelling.

If I did this crappy a job, I'd get fired. Instantly.

> if a certain party were not
> so insistent on turning the thread into a whirlwind of hateful
> statements and obscene language.

Yes of course. Anything that doesn't follow the sniveller
bleeding-heart "it's really wonderful, you just need to (followed by
ten pages of horseshit ideas that don't work) ..." is evil, mean
nasty, rude, hurtful, obscene, pornographic, racist, non-respectful,
divisive, bla bla bla bla bla. Waaaah waaaah waaaah.

All that doesn't change the fact that the code is crap. Been crap
for years. From the top, Shithub is trash, worthless garbage that
exists to fulfill the auto-erotic needs of a bunch of loser
adolescents but no one else. Then it gets worse as we go farther ...

> FontForge has its share of inherent
> flaws,

Yes. Too bad no one has addressed ANY of them for the past ten
years. We've seen nothing but churn and dick-waving.

> but they don't do nearly as much to alienate users as getting a
> frighteningly angry tirade from a stranger when trying to ask a question.

Oooh ! Ooh ! I'm so scared ! Someone used a bad word ! Mommy mommy,
help me !

If the self-important retards messing up this perfectly good program
would leave it alone, we'd be better off. It built and ran fine as
PfaEdit. Maybe someone who understands C and programming would some
day come along to work on real problems, instead of the stupid
garbage I've seen.

Sourceforge. Tarfile. Configure, make, make install. Done, working
program. Sure, it doesn't have the *modern !* hyberscoptic eccentric
stabilizing deframillator, but who cares ? it builds and runs, as
opposed to the smelly effluent you guys are peddling.

jb

Frank Trampe wrote:

> I was not thrilled about adding the bootstrap layer to FontForge, but it
> builds just fine for me and for many others.

And many people can speak Tagalog. Goody goody, that makes
everything perfect.

The FACT, as evidenced by the original article on this topic, is
that it does *not* "build just fine" for most people.

Most people who try to build it just go away. In disgust.

> It would be relatively easy
> to identify and to diagnose the problem here

If it would be that easy, then why didn't it happen five years ago
when I brought it up ? When the README and other doc files bore no
resemblance whatsoever to the code ? When nothing they said to do
worked ?

And what was the answer then ? Just a bunch of hogwash, like now.
Nothing solved, nothing addressed, just a bunch of hot air and
butthurt snivelling.

If I did this crappy a job, I'd get fired. Instantly.

> if a certain party were not
> so insistent on turning the thread into a whirlwind of hateful
> statements and obscene language.

Yes of course. Anything that doesn't follow the sniveller
bleeding-heart "it's really wonderful, you just need to (followed by
ten pages of horseshit ideas that don't work) ..." is evil, mean
nasty, rude, hurtful, obscene, pornographic, racist, non-respectful,
divisive, bla bla bla bla bla. Waaaah waaaah waaaah.

All that doesn't change the fact that the code is crap. Been crap
for years. From the top, Shithub is trash, worthless garbage that
exists to fulfill the auto-erotic needs of a bunch of loser
adolescents but no one else. Then it gets worse as we go farther ...

> FontForge has its share of inherent
> flaws,

Yes. Too bad no one has addressed ANY of them for the past ten
years. We've seen nothing but churn and dick-waving.

> but they don't do nearly as much to alienate users as getting a
> frighteningly angry tirade from a stranger when trying to ask a question.

Oooh ! Ooh ! I'm so scared ! Someone used a bad word ! Mommy mommy,
help me !

If the self-important retards messing up this perfectly good program
would leave it alone, we'd be better off. It built and ran fine as
PfaEdit. Maybe someone who understands C and programming would some
day come along to work on real problems, instead of the stupid
garbage I've seen.

Sourceforge. Tarfile. Configure, make, make install. Done, working
program. Sure, it doesn't have the modern ! hyberscoptic divisionary
stabilizing deframillator, but who cares ? it builds and runs, as
opposed to the smelly effluent you guys are peddling.

Re: cannot bootstrao fontforge!

Apostolos Syropoulos
Hello Matijs,

>> apostolo@nadya>> ./bootstrap
>> bootstrap: running: libtoolize --quiet
>> bootstrap: running: git clone --depth 365
>> 'http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnulib.git' 'gnulib'
>> Cloning into 'gnulib'...
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> join: -: seek error
>> join: write error
>
> This seems to be the source of the problem. Is there a problem with the
> disk?

Well I purchased this disk a few days ago and it is brand new.

>> [...]
>>
>> missing file lib/error.c
>
> This should be in the gnulib repository cloned above. Can you try:
>
>   cd gnulib
>   git status

$ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
nothing to commit, working tree clean

--
Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, GREECE

Re: cannot bootstrao fontforge!

Apostolos Syropoulos
Hello,

I just sent a message but it was incomplete. Unfortunately, my
old desktop is out of order and I have bought a new computer.
When I will get it I will reinstall the operating system and later
on I will try again to build fontforge.

Of course it is simpler to have a tar file for most people.
In fact, I think that developers should release every
year or every six months such a release. The brave ones can
"fight" with autoconf and automake...

Using an ancient tar ball is not a solution. For example,
this tar ball does not provide support for TTC fonts. At least
it never worked for me.

Regards,
A.S.

--
Apostolos Syropoulos
Xanthi, GREECE

Re: cannot bootstrao fontforge!

Werner LEMBERG

> If I did this crappy a job, I'd get fired. Instantly.

Then, for God's sake, do something!  Provide patches, help packaging,
whatever.  Just staying at the side and pointing with the finger – or
rather, using a kiddy-kiddy language, probably because you have never
learned what a civilized conversation tone is – doesn't change
anything.

> All that doesn't change the fact that the code is crap.  Been crap
> for years.  From the top, Shithub is trash, worthless garbage that
> exists to fulfill the auto-erotic needs of a bunch of loser
> adolescents but no one else.  Then it gets worse as we go farther

So be it.  Use the old package and be happy.  Maybe you want to try
any competitor's program.

FontForge is free software, developed mostly in the spare time of
volunteers.  Have you paid for it?  No?  So shut up or help *by
doing*, not by talking.

    Werner

Re: cannot bootstrao fontforge!

luigi scarso

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Matijs,

>> apostolo@nadya>> ./bootstrap
>> bootstrap: running: libtoolize --quiet
>> bootstrap: running: git clone --depth 365
>> 'http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnulib.git' 'gnulib'
>> Cloning into 'gnulib'...
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> join: -: seek error
>> join: write error
>
> This seems to be the source of the problem. Is there a problem with the
> disk?

Well I purchased this disk a few days ago and it is brand new.

>> [...]
>>
>> missing file lib/error.c
>
> This should be in the gnulib repository cloned above. Can you try:
>
>   cd gnulib
>   git status

$ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
nothing to commit, working tree clean

I usually follow the instructions in  INSTALL-git.md but  at
Tue Aug  2 07:55:24 UTC 2016
I see
fatal: unable to access 'http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnulib.git/': Recv failure: Connection reset by peer

Also www.gnu.org seems to be down.

--
luigi

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 9:59 AM, luigi scarso <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 9:07 AM, Apostolos Syropoulos <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Matijs,

>> apostolo@nadya>> ./bootstrap
>> bootstrap: running: libtoolize --quiet
>> bootstrap: running: git clone --depth 365
>> 'http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnulib.git' 'gnulib'
>> Cloning into 'gnulib'...
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> join: -: seek error
>> join: write error
>
> This seems to be the source of the problem. Is there a problem with the
> disk?

Well I purchased this disk a few days ago and it is brand new.

>> [...]
>>
>> missing file lib/error.c
>
> This should be in the gnulib repository cloned above. Can you try:
>
>   cd gnulib
>   git status

$ git status
On branch master
Your branch is up-to-date with 'origin/master'.
nothing to commit, working tree clean

I usually follow the instructions in  INSTALL-git.md but  at
Tue Aug  2 07:55:24 UTC 2016
I see
$ ./bootstrap
bootstrap: running: libtoolize --quiet
bootstrap: running: git clone --depth 365 'http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnulib.git' 'gnulib'
Cloning into 'gnulib'...
fatal: unable to access 'http://git.savannah.gnu.org/r/gnulib.git/': Recv failure: Connection reset by peer

Also www.gnu.org seems to be down.

Sorry for the noise, now it works again.

--
luigi

On 02-08-16 09:17, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just sent a message but it was incomplete. Unfortunately, my
> old desktop is out of order and I have bought a new computer.
> When I will get it I will reinstall the operating system and later
> on I will try again to build fontforge.

Ok, keep us updated how you're faring. This should just work, and if it
doesn't it needs to be fixed.

> Of course it is simpler to have a tar file for most people.
> In fact, I think that developers should release every
> year or every six months such a release. The brave ones can
> "fight" with autoconf and automake...

Yes, having a nice official release would be an improvement. It would
also help with getting a more recent version in Debian, for instance.

> Using an ancient tar ball is not a solution. For example,
> this tar ball does not provide support for TTC fonts. At least
> it never worked for me.
>
> Regards,
> A.S.

Regards,
Matijs

Re: cannot bootstrao fontforge!

Élie Roux
Dear jb,

> If I did this crappy a job, I'd get fired. Instantly.

If I used this kind of language in my job, I'd get fired. Instantly.

Thank you,
--
Elie

Re: cannot bootstrao fontforge!

tlarson
> The other people don't deserve kindness.

On the contrary, jb, yes, I _do_ deserve kindness. I have nothing to do
with the development of FF beyond sharing thoughts and experiences using
it. Yet I have to put up with your immature ranting. I don't deserve to be
subjected to the crude, sophomoric vulgarities you spew. Even if I were a
contributing developer whom you disagree with, there's absolutely no
reason to speak so uncivilly to anyone.

You've been repeatedly asked to change your tone, yet you still refuse to
engage in meaningful conversation. Why are you here? You serve no purpose.
Why do you waste your time and ours? How do you function in society when
you act the way you do? Do you manage to hold a job using that language?
Do you go through life sowing discord in every interaction, or do you save
it for when you hide behind a keyboard? Grow up.

Growing my killfile by one entry,
--
Tim Larson

12