[fontforge-devel] Unifont and Unicode 10.0.0 Plane 0 CJK Additions

[fontforge-devel] Unifont and Unicode 10.0.0 Plane 0 CJK Additions

Paul Hardy
Greetings,

I am the maintainer of GNU Unifont.  Because Fontforge uses Unifont as a font of last resort, I thought I should give you advanced notice of a Unifont change.

After consulting with several Chinese people, I have concluded that the most reasonable way to handle the new CJK glyphs U+9FD8..U+9FE9 (planned for introduction in Unicode 10.0.0) are to make them quadruple-width: 16 pixels high by 32 pixels wide.  The biggest challenge was fitting any other glyph in combination with U+723E (爾) inside a 16-by-16 grid, and that glyph appears repeatedly in combination with other glyphs in that range.  I did not want to go beyond the 16-by-16 boundary.

I believe that the font metric dimensions are correct in the upcoming BDF, PCF, and TrueType versions of Unifont for those new glyphs; at least, they appear to be correct in Fontforge.

Once Unicode 10.0.0 is released, I will cross-check the final Unicode delta charts against what is already in place in the upcoming Unifont release, make final adjustments to Unifont 10.0.01, and release it, hopefully a week or so after the Unicode 10.0.0 release.

Take care,

Paul Hardy