[fontforge-devel] FontForge man page

Paul Hardy
The online FontForge documentation no longer appears to contain a Unix man page.  There is an old man page at https://linux.die.net/man/1/fontforge.  It contains information that "fontforge -help" does not, including environment variables.

If I create a new man page, would anyone be interested in looking it over?  How about making it part of the FontForge distribution again?

Thanks,

Paul Hardy

Re: FontForge man page

Dave Crossland
I would love that! :)

Re: FontForge man page

Paul Hardy
Dave,

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 12:57 PM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would love that! :)

Okay, I should have something next weekend for you to look over.

I just finished configuring a brand new Debian 9 ("stretch") installation to build the upcoming Unifont release.  Debian 9 was officially released very late last night / very early this morning (depending on your continent).  I am putting finishing touches on Unifont 10.0.01.  It is building just fine under Debian 9.  I expect to be able to release it on Tuesday, when Unicode 10.0.0 is supposed to be formally released.

The Unicode Consortium made a lot of changes to Emoticons that I did not make, at least not yet.  In most cases the changes involved adding nuanced detail that would take some doing in a 16-by-16 pixel grid.  I might update them in the future.

Stay tuned,

Paul

Joe

Re: FontForge man page

Joe
Hi Paul,
My thoughts are to back pedal to pre-20120731 and then move forwards, however, since you caught the problem, run with it ;-)

Joe

Re: FontForge man page

Joe
Unicode.org has not announced 10 yet on their home page yet.

Timewise there is a book cover review that closed jun15 and results announce july15, so I suspect 10.0 announcement soon after.

Is it premature for us to be announcing 10 yet, or is there an announcement already made?

Re: FontForge man page

Paul Hardy
Joe,

On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 8:01 PM, Joe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unicode.org has not announced 10 yet on their home page yet.
Is it premature for us to be announcing 10 yet, or is there an announcement already made?

I have been keeping an eye on this page, and at the end of last week the date "2017 June 20" finally appeared:
http://unicode.org/versions/Unicode10.0.0/.  It used to say "June XX" (no exact date).  But you are correct: nothing is official until they formally announce it.

In any case, I'm ready!

Paul Hardy

Joe

Re: FontForge man page

Joe
Thanks for the info.
Just looked now, and noted 10.0 was announced.