[fontforge-devel] FontForge Merging ttf fonts

[fontforge-devel] FontForge Merging ttf fonts

poonam
Hi,

I have hundreds of ttf font files. I want to merge them and create
otf(unicode) file from them. I tried merge operation of Fontmerge. But
problem is it doesn't merge font files characters order wise.
For eg: lets say i have 3 font files: file1.ttf, file2.ttf and file3.ttf
What I want is to have one new empty font and copying first all characters
of file1 font, then all characters of file2 font and then finally all
characters of file3 font. Their Places are differing than the original
one(like in original file2 file, nukta was in fifth position and now it
might be at 100th position) but their order should not change.
Please help asap.

Re: FontForge Merging ttf fonts

mskala
On Mon, 6 Jun 2016, poonam wrote:

> I have hundreds of ttf font files. I want to merge them and create
> otf(unicode) file from them. I tried merge operation of Fontmerge. But
> problem is it doesn't merge font files characters order wise.
> For eg: lets say i have 3 font files: file1.ttf, file2.ttf and file3.ttf
> What I want is to have one new empty font and copying first all characters
> of file1 font, then all characters of file2 font and then finally all
> characters of file3 font. Their Places are differing than the original
> one(like in original file2 file, nukta was in fifth position and now it
> might be at 100th position) but their order should not change.
> Please help asap.

If you do that, then you're going to end up with glyphs associated to
characters in a way that doesn't make sense.  For instance, "A" from one
font might end up encoded at the code point for "z".  A font like that
will be useless for typesetting text, and if your fonts are really not
text fonts at all but collections of pictures that don't represent text,
then you should be using unencoded glyphs instead of incorrect
Unicode points; and I think FontForge *will* correctly merge unencoded
glyphs.  Breaking Unicode is a bad idea and that's why FontForge doesn't
do it by default.

However, if you are sure it's really what you need to do, then
you can do it with cut and paste.  Open a new font to contain the result;
open the first input font; highlight all the characters in the first input
font and do "copy"; highlight the same number of empty slots in the new
font and do "paste"; then open the next input font, copy all characters
similarly, highlight a new range of empty slots in the new font, do
"paste"; and so on.

If you want to automate it, that could be done with scripts as well, but
it won't be very simple.  I think it would be a good idea to perfect the
process with cut and paste manually before trying to turn it into a script.

--
Matthew Skala
[hidden email]                 People before principles.