[fontforge-devel] FontForge Funding (Dual Post)

[fontforge-devel] FontForge Funding (Dual Post)

Frank Trampe
Hi, folks.

As many of you know, FontForge lost its main funding source almost two years ago now. I've been working on a volunteer basis, but my availability has been rather low since I'm forced to focus on paying work. Likewise, I'm not going to as many typography/graphics conferences now that I'm paying out-of-pocket.

Given that we got over 100,000 downloads for the last release, I'm starting to think that it would be worthwhile to try raising money to support accelerated development.

The baseline would involve just putting donate buttons on the release and download pages, but I've heard a few other ideas. So there are a few questions to be asked.
  • How much is ongoing development of FontForge worth to each of you?
  • In which areas would you like that ongoing development to be (fixing this, adding that, ...)?
  • Does adding a donate button seem like the right approach? If we ask for money on a per-release basis, what's the right amount? $5?
  • Are there any other ideas?
  • Are there any potential corporate sponsors/partners that I ought to try to engage?
  • Is anybody involved with a non-profit organization willing and able to act as the "umbrella" (the handler of funds)?

Let me know.

Best wishes,

Frank

Re: [fontforge-users] FontForge Funding (Dual Post)

Dave Crossland
I like the ardour.org approach

Re: [fontforge-users] FontForge Funding (Dual Post)

Abraham Lee
Dave,

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 4:43 PM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:
I like the ardour.org approach

It took me a bit to find anything, but are you referring to what they have on this page (right hand side): http://community.ardour.org/communityI like that idea. Any idea what becoming a "subscriber" means? It says free upgrades, but is it more than that? I'm only wondering if there are other "perks" they are offering or is it just a way for people to be recurring funders? Either way, I like it, with or without perks. As a tool that allows one to do their job, I don't think there needs to be perks. Having the software is a perk.

Best,
Abraham

Re: [fontforge-users] FontForge Funding (Dual Post)

Dave Crossland
I mean http://community.ardour.org/download :)

Re: [fontforge-users] FontForge Funding (Dual Post)

For now, I've decided to experiment with just putting a donate button on the download page. I want to be sure that we exhaust all revenue options that don't adversely impact users before doing anything disruptive.

If we do end up charging for binaries (And I really hope we don't need to do that!), we'll count past donations towards purchases retroactively.

But let's keep this discussion open; we haven't heard from many people yet.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 9:32 AM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:
I mean http://community.ardour.org/download :)

Ah! I didn't actually try to download it before I sent my last message. Makes sense now. Thanks for clarifying!