Quantcast

[fontforge-devel] Font sampler, centered glyphs

[fontforge-devel] Font sampler, centered glyphs

Abraham Lee
Greetings, FF Devs!

I very much appreciate that FF can export a sampler page of all the glyphs within a font. I'd like to put in a feature request for this sampler page, if I may.

Since most of the fonts I work on are for music glyphs and not necessarily text, and since the music programs that use them require each glyph to be in relatively specific locations (e.g., some centered on the baseline, some right at the origin, etc.), this can cause the glyph shapes to collide between rows on the sampler page.

I'm not sure what the "right" solution is for this, but here's what I would do:
  1. Provide an option to center (both vertically and/or horizontally) each glyph in its "cell" on the sampler page.
  2. Lay out a grid and put the glyph's name/codepoint at the top of the cell (kind of like the font view that is already part of the program).
Anyway, this would be wonderful, but I know it can take quite a bit of work to do this robustly.

Thanks,
Abraham Lee

Re: Font sampler, centered glyphs

tlarson
> I very much appreciate that FF can export a sampler page of all the
> glyphs within a font. I'd like to put in a feature request for this
> sampler page, if I may.

I'd never heard of this feature before. When was it introduced? Is it
generally like fntsample?

--
Tim Larson

Re: Font sampler, centered glyphs

Abraham Lee
Tim,

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 1:00 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I very much appreciate that FF can export a sampler page of all the
> glyphs within a font. I'd like to put in a feature request for this
> sampler page, if I may.

I'd never heard of this feature before. When was it introduced? Is it
generally like fntsample?

Not sure, but what I'm referring to is done with the "File" > "Print" menu. Then click on the "Print" tab and the "Full Font Display" radio button. Clicking on the "Setup" button at the bottom of that window will allow you to set the page size and tell it to output a PDF. Then click "Print" and tell it where to save the file and give it a name.

There are other things I'd like to change about the format of the output file, but I'll let that off for another day.

Best,
Abraham