Quantcast

[fontforge-devel] Building on Mac

Max Rabkin-2
It has been many years since I have been able to build a working
FontForge with a GUI on Mac. I'm using Homebrew but I can try installing
another package manager if it would help. How is it done? The configure
script dies after outputting

"""

checking for PANGO... no
configure: error: Package requirements (pango >= 1.10 pangoxft) were not
met:

Package 'xft', required by 'pangoxft', not found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables PANGO_CFLAGS
and PANGO_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

"""

But the Homebrew package "pango" as well as "pangox-compat" are
installed. About a year ago I spent a whole day trying to get it
working, but unfortunately I've forgotten anything I managed to diagnose
then... Can anybody point me in the right direction to start? (Something
like "it'll never work with Homebrew because foo; use bar instead" could
save me a lot of wasted time)

All the best,

Max

Re: Building on Mac

Jason Pagura
Which Mac OSX are you running? I was recently able to build Fontforge using Macports on 10.7, but not 10.6. Frank Trampe helped me though that, though.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2016 at 1:59 PM, Max Rabkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

zimbach at gmail dot com

Re: Building on Mac

Max Rabkin-2

I'm now using Macports 2.3.4 on OS X 10.11.6.

The configure script now finds pango, but fails later on...
checking for ZLIB... yes
checking for GLIB... yes
checking for PANGO... yes
checking for FREETYPE... yes
checking for LIBXML... yes
checking for library containing DGifOpenFileName... -lgif
checking for library containing EGifGetGifVersion... no
checking gif_lib.h usability... no
checking gif_lib.h presence... no
checking for gif_lib.h... no
checking Build with GIFLIB or LIBUNGIF support?... no
checking jpeglib.h usability... no
checking jpeglib.h presence... no
checking for jpeglib.h... no
checking Build with JPEG support?... no
checking png.h usability... no
checking png.h presence... no
checking for png.h... no
checking Build with PNG support?... no
checking tiffio.h usability... no
checking tiffio.h presence... no
checking for tiffio.h... no
checking Build with TIFF support?... no
checking for LIBCAIRO... yes
checking Build with Cairo support?... configure: error: in `/Users/max/fontforge':
configure: error: ERROR: Please install the Developer version of libpng
See `config.log' for more details

But libpng is installed, and png.h exists:
$ pkg-config --cflags libpng
-I/opt/local/include/libpng16
$ ls /opt/local/include/libpng16
png.h        pngconf.h    pnglibconf.h

The configure script is not using the -I flag provided by pkg-config when it tests for png.h. Unfortunately my autotools-fu is too weak to see why or to fix it. How do I get configure to find my png.h?

Best,
Max

On 2016/11/01 22:02, Jason Pagura wrote:
[...]

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: Building on Mac

Frank Trampe
It's all in the scripts.

Open /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf and add
file:///usr/local/src/github-fontforge
above the other sources.

In the terminal...
mkdir -p /usr/local/src/github-fontforge
cd /usr/local/src/github-fontforge
git clone https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge fontforge
sudo portindex
cd fontforge/osx
sudo ./force-rebuild.sh
cd /opt/local/var/macports/build/_usr_local_src_github-fontforge_fontforge_osx/fontforge/work/fontforge-2.0.0_beta1
sudo bash ./osx/create-osx-app-bundle.sh

On Wed, Nov 2, 2016 at 4:08 PM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ryan Schmidt-3

> On Nov 2, 2016, at 4:14 PM, Frank Trampe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It's all in the scripts.
>
> Open /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf and add
>
> file:///usr/local/src/github-fontforge
>
> above the other sources.
>
> In the terminal...
> mkdir -p /usr/local/src/github-fontforge
> cd /usr/local/src/github-fontforge
> git clone https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge fontforge
> sudo portindex
> cd fontforge/osx
> sudo ./force-rebuild.sh
> cd /opt/local/var/macports/build/_usr_local_src_github-fontforge_fontforge_osx/fontforge/work/fontforge-2.0.0_beta1
> sudo bash ./osx/create-osx-app-bundle.sh

If this is meant for testing, great. But once you've verified things are working and you're ready for users at large to use this, please submit an update to MacPorts so that we can include it in the official MacPorts ports tree.

This is the MacPorts ticket requesting the port update:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/43844

You can either attach patches there or submit a pull request to:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports

-Ryan (MacPorts)