Quantcast

correcting errors

Larson, Timothy E.
How do I fix "There is another glyph in the font with this Unicode code
point"?  When I go to that character in font view, I can't tell that there
are two glyphs there.  This is the only character that doesn't seem to work
when I generate the font file.

I also get "Self Intersecting", "Wrong Direction", "Flipped References", and
"Missing Points at Extrema" errors, but I don't notice anything breaking due
to these.  How important is it to fix them?

Thanks,
Tim
--
Tim Larson        AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
    InterCall, a division of West Corporation

               Eschew obfuscation!

smime.p7s (12K) Download Attachment

Re: correcting errors

Peter Baker-2
Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
> How do I fix "There is another glyph in the font with this Unicode code
> point"?  When I go to that character in font view, I can't tell that there
> are two glyphs there.  This is the only character that doesn't seem to work
> when I generate the font file.

I think Encoding --> Detach glyph
> I also get "Self Intersecting", "Wrong Direction", "Flipped References", and
> "Missing Points at Extrema" errors, but I don't notice anything breaking due
> to these.  How important is it to fix them?

My experience, fwiw, is that errors like this *often* don't cause
problems, but then you'll hear from a user that, say, Word 2001 running
under Windows 95 is displaying only empty boxes. Best to fix the
problems, since you can't predict when they'll break.

I'll note just one thing, that if you're working with a TrueType font FF
will complain when two references intersect. But this is actually
permitted by the specification and will cause no problems.

Peter

Re: correcting errors

Larson, Timothy E.
> I think Encoding --> Detach glyph

That didn't do it, but I found the wrong version in the sfd and deleted it
with a text editor.  That fixed the error; however, I still can't see it
after generating the font.  :(

> My experience, fwiw, is that errors like this *often* don't cause
> problems, but then you'll hear from a user that, say, Word 2001 running
> under Windows 95 is displaying only empty boxes. Best to fix the
> problems, since you can't predict when they'll break.
>
> I'll note just one thing, that if you're working with a TrueType font FF
> will complain when two references intersect. But this is actually
> permitted by the specification and will cause no problems.

Ahh, gotcha.  Is it the same deal with the "Non-integral coordinate" error?

Thanks,
Tim
--
Tim Larson        AMT2 Unix Systems Administrator
    InterCall, a division of West Corporation

               Eschew obfuscation!

smime.p7s (12K) Download Attachment

Re: correcting errors

George Williams
On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 07:19, Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
> How do I fix "There is another glyph in the font with this Unicode code
> point"?  When I go to that character in font view, I can't tell that there
> are two glyphs there.  This is the only character that doesn't seem to work
> when I generate the font file.
This is explained. Please read the documentation
  http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/validation.html
It's a little hard to detect this in normal use, but if you change the
encoding to "Glyph Order", and then use Edit->Select->Wildcard and enter
the code point, both of them should be selected.

> I also get "Self Intersecting", "Wrong Direction", "Flipped References", and
> "Missing Points at Extrema" errors, but I don't notice anything breaking due
> to these.  How important is it to fix them?
I'm told that there do still exist ancient printers for which "Self
Intersecting" glyphs cause problems.

Drawing a glyph in the wrong direction (or with a flipped references)
will cause some rasterizers to produce fuzzy outlines.

If you don't have points at significant extrema it can be more difficult
for ff to autohint your font or for a rasterizer to do so. The result is
that the glyph image will look worse.

Re: correcting errors

George Williams
On Thu, 2009-02-19 at 08:23, Larson, Timothy E. wrote:
> Ahh, gotcha.  Is it the same deal with the "Non-integral coordinate" error?
TrueType doesn't support non integral coordinates. FF will round your
coordinates to the nearest integer. That may, or may not cause a
significant change in the shape of your contour. Probably fine for big
contours, can cause oddness with small ones.

Re: correcting errors

marty39
I sometimes get "There is another glyph in the font with this Unicode code point" and "There is another glyph in the font with this name" in the validation report for several glyphs. I think this occurs after editing the glyphs in outline view while the font view is in compact encoding, or in an encoding that doesn't have code points for the glyphs I edited.

After I reencode in Unicode BMP, View / Goto shows two entries for each of these glyphs, but they both take me to the same slot in the font view.

I figured that if there are two glyphs there, I could fix it by removing both and then putting in one. The process is complicated but reliable:

Reencode Unicode BMP.
Select the glyph in font view.
Copy it (very important, otherwise you will lose the glyph)
Encoding / Detach and remove glyph. (this removes one of the glyphs)
Reencode Unicode BMP (now you see the other glyph)
Encoding / Detach and remove glyph. (removes the other glyph)
Reencode Unicode BMP (now the slot is empty)
Paste the glyph in the empty slot.
Reencode Unicode BMP.

I do this one glyph at a time. Tedious but safe. I don't know if there's a way to fix all of them at once.