completely mystified - continued

Clair Dunn
Martin, Jason, Frank.

I read about Spiro and have never turned it on. So that's a non-issue.

But, I was using control-M which gave me the screwy curves and tangent lines apparently.

I did select all and did Point>corner which cleared up some of the mess.

However, as you can see it still doesn't work. At the start I created the "c" shape and in another layer, the upright stroke. But could never get them to become one glyph. Then I tried to draw it as a unit which almost worked but didn't. Now I have what appears to be all (corners thanks to your help) but in the character set chart the only bits that show are the very top of the upright stroke and the upper right section of the "c" part with the gray lines. And I don't understand why that is. Or what the difference between  red lines and gray lines is.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the help I've received. Full disclosure -- I'm not a "Sunday typographer" - lol - I was a graphic designer for more than 30 years and had a splendid letterpress shop as an adjunct to my design work. Some of my clients were Selmer Music, French Paper, and U.S. Robotics. I look forward to getting versed enough in FF to be able to help others as you all are helping me!

Re: completely mystified - continued

Dave Crossland
Hi

Please upload your image to imgur.com or similar, I couldn't see it via attachment :)

On 27 May 2016 at 07:34, Clair Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Cheers
Dave

Re: completely mystified - continued

Martin B. Brilliant
Full disclosure: I am a "Sunday typographer," but I can create fonts with FontForge. It’s a hard tool to master, and especially frustrating if you aren’t a “Sunday typographer” and therefore don’t have a lot of time to learn by making mistakes.

Sorry, the image didn’t come through, but I think I know what you mean.

OK, I didn’t realize until you brought it to my attention: the red lines are open paths. What I do if parts of the glyph don’t show: in glyph view, go to Element, Find Problems, go to the Paths tab and just select Open Paths, Intersecting Paths and Check Outermost Paths Clockwise. It will tell you the selected end points are the ends of an open path, and if you can’t see out where the problem is, zoom in. It might also tell you the outermost path is in the wrong direction, but sometimes it lies. I click on each path and go to the menu, Element, and look down at the path direction items. If some of them are grayed out it means the path is either open or intersecting, but if it does tell you, it’s more reliable than the “find problems” result. Paths in the wrong direction will give trouble when you try to merge overlapping contours.

I just saw your next email about spontaneous exits. It does that to me too. I think you said you’re in Linux. I use FontForge in Xterm in OS X. Note to developers: that’s a nasty bug, because although FontForge tries to recover when restarted, it doesn’t recover everything.

OK, enough of my “wisdom of the aged” for now.