completely mystified by FF

Clair Dunn
and need what is probably very minimal help. I'm running FF on Linux Mint, 32-bit, latest updates are installed.

Some background. I originally designed most of my font using TT3 on Windows. After much successful work-- I began some kerning work -- just for a change. Then some serious life intervened. By the time I could get back to real font work I had moved away from Windows to Linux because I had completely lost patience with Windows and Microsoft.

Now that I am working on the same font in FF I find that I am unable to complete a character with any success after 2 days of real work.

My issue is this: this font design has absolutely NO curved lines at all.

Which means, I am simply using corners and drawing straight lines. "Curves" are therefore a series of straight lines. In my estimation this should be dead simple to accomplish However, I end up with lots of tangents when I try to delete multiple corners where an overlap comes together. I am working on the cent glyph and am finding its successful construction impossible.

After a tangent appears, and I delete it, the line turns into a bizarre curve.

I would really like to get past this point. I'm a hard worker and simply cannot figure out why I am having such incredible difficulty with FF.

If any one has any suggestions they would be much appreciated. I must be missing something really major in order not to be able to do this.

Thanks much. And, sorry for the long post, but it's the end of another long day and frustration is high.

Re: completely mystified by FF

Dave Crossland
Could you post a screenshot or screencast showing the problem?

I think you have spiro mode turned on, which is why you get the bizarre curves

Re: completely mystified by FF

Jason Pagura
Whether you are in Bezier or Spiro drawing modes, don't switch them yet. Open a glyph, select all the points then select Point>Corner. In Spiro this will retract all the curves into straight lines. In Bezier mode you must additionally select Point>Make Line. Repeat this for each problematic glyph.

Do not switch between drawing modes while you still have unintentional curves, as this may generate additional, seemingly extraneous, curve points. They're necessary to compensate for the different ways Bezier and Spiro calculate curves, but since you don't want curves to begin with, it's better to avoid making even more of them.

On Thu, May 26, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:
Could you post a screenshot or screencast showing the problem?

I think you have spiro mode turned on, which is why you get the bizarre curves

Jason Pagura
zimbach at gmail dot com

Re: completely mystified by FF

Martin B. Brilliant
Hi, Clair,

I’m not an expert, just a user who learned how to get along with FontForge.

If everything is corners and lines it should be dead simple to keep it clean.

In glyph view, you can select all points with CTRL-A. Then right-click on one of the points with the mouse, and select Corner (or go to the menu and select Point, Corner). Then right-click on one of the points and select Make Line (or go to the menu and select Point, Make Line). You can do that any time you see a curve or a point you don’t like.

BTW I hope when you say you delete a point you’re really merging it. Deleting a point breaks the contour. Merging a point just takes it out of the contour. You can merge with CTRL-M but that can result in a curve, which you would then have to Make Line. Better to right-click and Merge to Line.

I hope that helps. I really had to struggle with FontForge for a while before it became a useful (usable) tool, but it is now one of my useful tools.