What is the best way to change code point of a glyph?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What is the best way to change code point of a glyph?

Janusz S. Bień

On 23/09/2015 06:48, Janusz S. Bien wrote:
> I'm completely new to FontForge and I try to make a quick-and-dirty
> replica of an old font used in 1907 to typeset a Medieval Polish text.

Another novice question:

As my font contains many nonstandard characters, I sometimes change my
mind where to place them.

Simply changing the Unicode value in the Glyph Info windows doesn't seem
to work. Am I missing something?

I managed to cut and paste the outline, but at the old point there is now
something like an empty glyph (ftnsample prints it as a white field) -
how to make the cell empty again?

I will appreciate very much your help.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,  
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)
Prof. Janusz S. Bien - University of Warsaw (Formal Linguistics Department)
[hidden email], [hidden email], http://fleksem.klf.uw.edu.pl/~jsbien/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
fontforge-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fontforge-users
http://fontforge.10959.n7.nabble.com/User-f8781.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is the best way to change code point of a glyph?

Jason Pagura
First change the Unicode value in the Glyph Info
You will now notice your font's encoding has changed from whatever it was to "Custom"
Change the encoding to Unicode BMP or Unicode Full as applicable, and you will see the glyph move to the position it was just assigned.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:49 PM, Janusz S. Bień <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 23/09/2015 06:48, Janusz S. Bien wrote:
> I'm completely new to FontForge and I try to make a quick-and-dirty
> replica of an old font used in 1907 to typeset a Medieval Polish text.

Another novice question:

As my font contains many nonstandard characters, I sometimes change my
mind where to place them.

Simply changing the Unicode value in the Glyph Info windows doesn't seem
to work. Am I missing something?

I managed to cut and paste the outline, but at the old point there is now
something like an empty glyph (ftnsample prints it as a white field) -
how to make the cell empty again?

I will appreciate very much your help.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)
Prof. Janusz S. Bien - University of Warsaw (Formal Linguistics Department)
[hidden email], [hidden email], http://fleksem.klf.uw.edu.pl/~jsbien/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
fontforge-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fontforge-users
http://fontforge.10959.n7.nabble.com/User-f8781.html



--
--
Jason Pagura
zimbach at gmail dot com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
fontforge-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fontforge-users
http://fontforge.10959.n7.nabble.com/User-f8781.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is the best way to change code point of a glyph?

Janusz S. Bień
On Tue, Sep 29 2015 at  7:03 CEST, [hidden email] writes:
> First change the Unicode value in the Glyph Info
> You will now notice your font's encoding has changed from whatever it
> was to "Custom"
> Change the encoding to Unicode BMP or Unicode Full as applicable, and
> you will see the glyph move to the position it was just assigned.

Thank you very much for your quick answer! For archive: use Reencode,
not Force Encoding.

>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:49 PM, Janusz S. Bień <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

[...]

>     I managed to cut and paste the outline, but at the old point there
>     is now something like an empty glyph (ftnsample prints it as a
>     white field) - how to make the cell empty again?

The glyph has no shape but still has some properties like the name - is
there an easy way to remove the glyph completely?

I use a version control system so as the last resort I can revert to an
earlier version, but I hope there is a simpler way.

I am looking forward to you advice.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,  
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)
Prof. Janusz S. Bien - University of Warsaw (Formal Linguistics Department)
[hidden email], [hidden email], http://fleksem.klf.uw.edu.pl/~jsbien/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
fontforge-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fontforge-users
http://fontforge.10959.n7.nabble.com/User-f8781.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is the best way to change code point of a glyph?

Jason Pagura
Either Encoding> Detach Glyphs or Encoding> Detach & Remove Glyphs…
These remove encoding slots and their contents (though blank encoding slots can be restored with Reencode>…)

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 10:41 PM, Janusz S. Bień <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 29 2015 at  7:03 CEST, [hidden email] writes:
> First change the Unicode value in the Glyph Info
> You will now notice your font's encoding has changed from whatever it
> was to "Custom"
> Change the encoding to Unicode BMP or Unicode Full as applicable, and
> you will see the glyph move to the position it was just assigned.

Thank you very much for your quick answer! For archive: use Reencode,
not Force Encoding.

>
> On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 9:49 PM, Janusz S. Bień <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

[...]

>     I managed to cut and paste the outline, but at the old point there
>     is now something like an empty glyph (ftnsample prints it as a
>     white field) - how to make the cell empty again?

The glyph has no shape but still has some properties like the name - is
there an easy way to remove the glyph completely?

I use a version control system so as the last resort I can revert to an
earlier version, but I hope there is a simpler way.

I am looking forward to you advice.

Best regards

Janusz

--
                           ,
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bien -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)
Prof. Janusz S. Bien - University of Warsaw (Formal Linguistics Department)
[hidden email], [hidden email], http://fleksem.klf.uw.edu.pl/~jsbien/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
fontforge-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fontforge-users
http://fontforge.10959.n7.nabble.com/User-f8781.html



--
--
Jason Pagura
zimbach at gmail dot com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
fontforge-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fontforge-users
http://fontforge.10959.n7.nabble.com/User-f8781.html
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: What is the best way to change code point of a glyph?

Janusz S. Bień
Quote/Cytat - Jason Pagura <[hidden email]> (Tue 29 Sep 2015  
09:45:53 AM CEST):

> Either Encoding> Detach Glyphs or Encoding> Detach & Remove Glyphs…
> These remove encoding slots and their contents (though blank encoding slots
> can be restored with Reencode>…)

Thank you very much!

Best regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra  
Lingwistyki Formalnej)
Prof. Janusz S. Bień - University of Warsaw (Formal Linguistics Department)
[hidden email], [hidden email], http://fleksem.klf.uw.edu.pl/~jsbien/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
fontforge-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fontforge-users
http://fontforge.10959.n7.nabble.com/User-f8781.html