Quantcast

Unicode font not showing up in IE

Smith Ran
Using FontForge I made a Telugu unicode font. Once I put the .otf font
file in c:\windows\fonts folder, I can use it in notepad and various
other programs successfully, but when I try to use it in a .html file I
cannot make it show up (Tools>Internet options>Fonts>Telugu) in the list
of fonts for Telugu Language Script. I was wondering if anyone knows of
any requirements for this to happen. I have defined six other non-Telugu
characters in my font (.notdef, uni000D, space, uni25CC, uni200C, uni200D).
Regards.

Re: Unicode font not showing up in IE

George Williams
On Wed, 2005-06-01 at 20:45, Smith Ran wrote:
> Using FontForge I made a Telugu unicode font. Once I put the .otf font
> file in c:\windows\fonts folder, I can use it in notepad and various
> other programs successfully, but when I try to use it in a .html file I
> cannot make it show up (Tools>Internet options>Fonts>Telugu) in the list
> of fonts for Telugu Language Script. I was wondering if anyone knows of
> any requirements for this to happen. I have defined six other non-Telugu
> characters in my font (.notdef, uni000D, space, uni25CC, uni200C, uni200D).
> Regards.
This is beyond me. The only thing I can think of is that a bit might
need to be set in the OS/2 table's ulCodePageRange field to indicate the
font contains Telugu. No such bit is documented
 http://partners.adobe.com/public/developer/opentype/index_os2.html#cpr
but that doesn't mean one isn't required.

Another possibility is that IE insists on a font containing latin
letters before it will list the font at all.

If you have some (MS provided) Tegulu fonts you might use mensis (or
some other sfnt dumper) to examine the OS/2 table and see if any
patterns emerge.