Stupid snapping is making me mad ! :-)

Gwenouille
Hi there !

I have been searching for a whole day now, and wasn't successful:
When i edit a path, if i want to drag a point, I can only do that by a minimum amount of about 7 units.

That means that precise modifications can only be made by the keyboard: i can not move one point less than 7 units, it snaps to its current position.

Once the point is farther away than that minimum amount, it obeys the normal behaviour and can be moved with precision.

I have tried  changing basically everything i could in the prefs, I have even changed my font to be 10000 instead of 1000, but of course that's not an option !

Do you have a hint ? (ha ha ha)

Re: Stupid snapping is making me mad ! :-)

Gwenouille
Some more info:
It is only happening with version from 21-11-2013

If i use the one from 31-07-2012, it's smooth as silk.

I use Windows by the way.

Re: Stupid snapping is making me mad ! :-)

Dave Crossland

On 26 May 2014 13:24, Gwenouille <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is only happening with version from 21-11-2013

(Where did you get this version? :)

I know you are right, there is an issue with the snap distance in all versions....

Re: Stupid snapping is making me mad ! :-)

Gwenouille
It's the version from Matthew Petroff, for windows.

https://www.mpetroff.net/software/fontforge-windows/

But, as i said, things are nice with the older version. Alas, some other things are missing i guess, and the interface is just too wild for me.

I wonder if there's a way round ? I work with inkscape, and import svg into FF, but there are quite a lot of cleaning up duties to be done in FF still.

Is this issue well known ?
Is there a bug reporting tool somewhere ?

Re: Stupid snapping is making me mad ! :-)

Jason Pagura

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Gwenouille <[hidden email]> wrote:
It's the version from Matthew Petroff, for windows.

https://www.mpetroff.net/software/fontforge-windows/

But, as i said, things are nice with the older version. Alas, some other
things are missing i guess, and the interface is just too wild for me.

I wonder if there's a way round ? I work with inkscape, and import svg into
FF, but there are quite a lot of cleaning up duties to be done in FF still.

Is this issue well known ?
Is there a bug reporting tool somewhere ?

Look through the issues on : <https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/>
If you find an issue similar to the bug you are experiencing, comment on it. Otherwise, open a new issue describing the problem as completely as you can, including your system information and the Fontforge version you are using.

You may have to create a Github user account if you don't have one already.

Jason Pagura
zimbach at gmail dot com

Re: Stupid snapping is making me mad ! :-)

Gwenouille
Thanks Jason,

In the meantime I've tried another version, namely the one here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fontforgebuilds/

It's only a few days old. The problem is the same.

The link you've posted for me to report the bug is daunting… I am not sure i have the patience to skim through all that…

I've also learned that FF is about to become rather expensive ! So that's quite a blow…

Re: Stupid snapping is making me mad ! :-)

Gwenouille
Hi Dave,

Sorry to bother, but you've been a great help with my very first steps within FF last year, so i turn to you again this time !
Besides I keep stumbling upon your avatar on Github, so i guess you are active in FF developpment !

Do you know a place to ask general questions about FF ? I mean questions about how to use the tools, not feature requests or bug reports.
There seems to be quite a lot of places on the net to find builds of Fontforge, but i couldn't find a proper forum…
Github is not the right place, is it ?

I have problems with ligatures for instance, or vertical kerning.

I find that FF is really moving forward: much easier to use that last year when i started !

Thanks for every little bit of advice !

Best regards,
Gwen

Le 26/05/2014 20:16, Dave Crossland [via Fontforge] a écrit :

On 26 May 2014 13:24, Gwenouille <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is only happening with version from 21-11-2013

(Where did you get this version? :)

I know you are right, there is an issue with the snap distance in all versions....

http://fontforge.10959.n7.nabble.com/Stupid-snapping-is-making-me-mad-tp14215p14217.html
To unsubscribe from Stupid snapping is making me mad ! :-), click here.
NAML