Some questions from a newbie!

Hey guys,

Very new to font design and very new to the font forge format (this email list) so bear with me.

I created my first font last week. For the most part, it went well.
It says my em size should be 2 (but it's 1000). If I change it to 2, the font does not generate properly.
I also get "self intersecting" and "missing points of extrema" errors. But the font still generates if I keep the em size at 1000.

I have a few problems I need help with.

1. Spaces do not work with the font. When I use it in Adobe (looking at illustrator right now) when I hit the space bar, a rectangular cliff pops up between letters. When I hit the space bar in Microsoft word, the font becomes unrecognized (word changed the next typed letter to a generic font).

Any ideas how to export the font so this doesn't happen?

2. The thumbnail for my font is a weird, zoomed in shape (not the letterforms of the font). Is there a way to choose what my thumbnail for the font is within font forge?

Thanks so much for your help! I'd love to have a working font and understand this software more.

Re: Some questions from a newbie!

Js jS
>Hey guys,
>
>Very new to font design and very new to the font forge format (this email
>list) so bear with me.
>
>I created my first font last week. For the most part, it went well.
>It says my em size should be 2 (but it's 1000). If I change it to 2, the
>font does not generate properly.
>I also get "self intersecting" and "missing points of extrema" errors. But
>the font still generates if I keep the em size at 1000.
>
>I have a few problems I need help with.
>
>1. Spaces do not work with the font. When I use it in Adobe (looking at
>illustrator right now) when I hit the space bar, a rectangular cliff pops
>up between letters. When I hit the space bar in Microsoft word, the font
>becomes unrecognized (word changed the next typed letter to a generic font).
>
>Any ideas how to export the font so this doesn't happen?
>
>2. The thumbnail for my font is a weird, zoomed in shape (not the
>letterforms of the font). Is there a way to choose what my thumbnail for
>the font is within font forge?
>
>Thanks so much for your help! I'd love to have a working font and
>understand this software more.

a couple of things that may help:

1> the message you get is "em-size should be powers of 2" ... which means ... 2,4,8,16 .... 256 ... 1024
     you can ignore the message, or just use 1024 if you do not like to see the message

2> microsoft word is probably capitalizing the first letter of the word when you hit the space bar.

js:)

Re: Some questions from a newbie!

Max Rabkin-2
On 20 February 2017 at 16:55, z <[hidden email]> wrote:
I created my first font last week. For the most part, it went well.
It says my em size should be 2 (but it's 1000). If I change it to 2, the font does not generate properly.
I also get "self intersecting" and "missing points of extrema" errors. But the font still generates if I keep the em size at 1000.

As JS wrote, the message says "power of 2", but as you've discovered, 2 itself is definitely too small. Probably only 1024, 2048 or _maybe_ 4096 make sense.

I have a few problems I need help with.

1. Spaces do not work with the font. When I use it in Adobe (looking at illustrator right now) when I hit the space bar, a rectangular cliff pops up between letters. When I hit the space bar in Microsoft word, the font becomes unrecognized (word changed the next typed letter to a generic font).

Any ideas how to export the font so this doesn't happen?

Create a space glyph. There is a difference between a font having an *empty* glyph (which a space should be) and not having a glyph at all. You can create the glyph by setting its width.

--Max

Re: Some questions from a newbie!

Thanks guys.
The em size message isn't really an issue.

The fact that I can't use the space function is my real problem.
I have tried absolutely everything. No matter what I do, I can't get the space bar to work. A glyph shows up.
If I define the width of the space (no matter what width) it completely screws up my font and the keys don't type the right characters (it's random).

I've seen suggested to use AutoHint. That didn't work. Also to make sure encoding is ISO 10646-1 (Unicode, BMP) which I did, and didn't work.
The files I am using for the characters are SVGs imported from Adobe Illustrator. Not sure if that matters.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Thanks so much for the help!

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 5:42 PM, Max Rabkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Abraham Lee
On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 7:45 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks guys.
The em size message isn't really an issue.

The fact that I can't use the space function is my real problem.
I have tried absolutely everything. No matter what I do, I can't get the space bar to work. A glyph shows up.
If I define the width of the space (no matter what width) it completely screws up my font and the keys don't type the right characters (it's random).

I've seen suggested to use AutoHint. That didn't work. Also to make sure encoding is ISO 10646-1 (Unicode, BMP) which I did, and didn't work.
The files I am using for the characters are SVGs imported from Adobe Illustrator. Not sure if that matters.

Does anyone else have any ideas?

Is the file something you can share (privately)? That would help us diagnose the problem better.

Best,
Abraham

Re: Some questions from a newbie!

How would I share it privately?
New to this. A little uncomfortable giving my font file to people I don't know
(no offense)

I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I've tried so many things.
Is it usually this hard to get the space function to work without messing up the whole font?

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Abraham Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

try using "microsoft notepad" instead of "microsoft word" for testing, just to eliminate the possibility that "word" is messing things up ( it capitalizes the first letter of sentences, for instance)

assign a blank glyph (width setting only, no graphics) to one of the letters  ... see if it renders correctly

it could be some proportional spacing issue (grasping at straws here .... )

i believe that there may be more than one "space" glyph (different widths)  ... are you using the correct one?

Joe

On February 23, 2017 10:13:46 AM Js jS wrote:

> i believe that there may be more than one "space" glyph (different
> widths) ... are you using the correct one?

I was aware of the basic spacebar "space", the zero-space, and the NBSP,
but looking up info, there is many more spaces nif you want to be complete.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitespace_character

Re: Some questions from a newbie!

Js jS

can you please post a copy of your font file?

before you post it, delete most of the glyphs, and mess up the few that remain so that your work is not compromised.

leave any "space" glyphs untouched

also check that the "obfuscated" font file has the same issue as your real font file

thanks