Some monospaced advice needed

Pander
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Some monospaced advice needed

Abraham Lee
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Some monospaced advice needed

Dave Crossland-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Some monospaced advice needed

MMacD
On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 14:35:52 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am in need of some advice. With a crowd funding campaign and some
>sponsoring from my local government, I have some funding to digitise and
>extend a typeface that has been sculpted on statues about 100 years ago.
>It has only 13 original letters, so there is a lot of work to do. the
>statues and characters are https://i.imgur.com/g5wHIxt.jpg
>
>I already made concept font, but now am going for the final version. My
>approach is as follows: use Inkscape for the glyph design and FontForge
>for the generation of the font files.
>
>As this is a very geometric monospaced font, I use a log of guides in
>Inkscape and made some software in order to sync those guides amongst
>the separate Inkscape files. More on that later in another post and I
>will present it with the font on FOSDEM 2017.
>
>The biggest challenge I face at the moment is regarding choosing:
>- glyph width and horizontal spacing on the right
>- glyph height and vertical spacing on the bottom and maybe the top
>
>I am still not sure if I am going to support characters such as Ç and É
>in the future. Of course these could be designed in such way with small
>counter space at the bottom and top in the glyphs of C and E, resulting
>that I do not need to reserve space for this now. Making the vertical
>spacing only between the baseline and the bottom of the bounding box and
>having all the glyphs going all the way up to the top of the bounding box.
>
>1) I don't mind putting out version that improve over time but bounding
>box and spacing I would like to have nailed down from the beginning. Any
>advice on this? If there is a similar font which bounding box dimensions
>and spacing I could reuse, that would also be beneficial for font
>replacement purposes, fall-back and glyph placeholders.
>
>2) Is there a way for FontForge to automatically import glyph designs
>from Inkscape? This would save me a lot of manual work each time I have
>created of updated glyphs.
>
>3) This typeface would probably also/often used vertically. Is it
>possible/advisable to implement specific spacing for vertical usage?
>
>4) But of an Inkscape question, can one in batch mode do per SVG file:
>select all objects, convert all objects to paths and merge all paths?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Pander

It's an Art Deco font, and so I thought it might already exist.
Mirabile dictu, I found a near relative in only about 5 minutes'
searching.   Check out fontspace.com,  Autumn Deco font ( 2002)
by La Vie Dansante.  I'd guess that she used "your" font as a
model.

Re: Some monospaced advice needed

Anton Sherwood
CONTENTS DELETED