Rerunning autokern

marty39
Making a new font, letting FontForge kern by classes automatically. I figured out how to kern Latin, Greek, and Cyrillic separately. Don't know if I need to kern proportional figures, if so, how.

Most important, after I let FontForge kern the font once, if I change something in the font, or I want to change a kerning parameter (like default separation or only kern closer), is there a more efficient way of rerunning autokern than deleting the subtable and starting over with select by script, new subtable, and so on? If I change parameters in an open subtable is there a way to make it autokern again?

Re: Rerunning autokern

marty39
Aha! I discovered by accident that if I right click on a cell in the big table in the kern subtable window, I have an option to autokern the row, the column, or all, according to any new parameter values that I set in the spaces above the table.

"All" is what I wanted to do: rerun autokern with new parameters. Why isn't that in the documentation?

But what I was trying to do when I right clicked on the table was manually adjust the value in one cell. Unfortunately I don't see any way to do that. I can do it in a metrics window, but only if I close the subtable window first. That seems to mean I have to look in the subtable window for class pairs that don't kern the way I want them, then close the subtable window, type the lead character pair in the metrics window, adjust the kerning, and then reopen the subtable window.

Or I can write down the lead character of each class on a piece of paper and check every pair in the metrics window without going back to the subtable window. But it seems "wrong" to use pencil and paper instead of the computer.

Re: Rerunning autokern

marty39
marty39 wrote
But what I was trying to do when I right clicked on the table was manually adjust the value in one cell. Unfortunately I don't see any way to do that....
Aha! (again.) I can do that in the "Kern Offset" box at the top.

All this ought to be documented someplace more accessible than this mailing list.