Re: You've been removed from the fontforge team Core

Re: You've been removed from the fontforge team Core

Werner LEMBERG

Today, I got this message:

> You’ve been removed from the Core team on the fontforge organization.

What exactly does this mean?  Am I still able to directly commit to
the git repository?

    Werner

Re: You've been removed from the fontforge team Core

Frank Trampe

I don't know who did that. We'll fix it.

On Apr 19, 2016 11:56 PM, "Werner LEMBERG" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Today, I got this message:

> You’ve been removed from the Core team on the fontforge organization.

What exactly does this mean?  Am I still able to directly commit to
the git repository?

    Werner

Re: You've been removed from the fontforge team Core

Werner LEMBERG

>> > You’ve been removed from the Core team on the fontforge
>> > organization.
>>
>> What exactly does this mean?  Am I still able to directly commit to
>> the git repository?
>
> I don't know who did that. We'll fix it.

Thanks.  While not an active developer due to lack of time, I try to
fix simple things that I'm stumbling upon...

    Werner

Re: You've been removed from the fontforge team Core

mskala
On Wed, 20 Apr 2016, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Today, I got this message:
>
> > You’ve been removed from the Core team on the fontforge organization.
>
> What exactly does this mean?  Am I still able to directly commit to
> the git repository?

So did I.  I think it means we no longer have the status that was once
called "Owner", which mostly confers administrative privileges.  The
project used to hand that status out quite generously as a mark of respect
- I in particular never asked to have it - and I guess someone in charge
decided that policy should change.  From looking at the organization's
"Teams" list, I think the people who still have "Core" status (formerly
called "Owner") are now Dave Crossland, Jeremy Tan, and Frank Trampe.  I
don't know who made the change, but I think everybody with Core status
probably had the ability to do it.

I think we had too many Core team members and it's probably a good thing
to remove some who weren't really in that role, including myself.

I'm not sure what it means for the organization to take this step right in
the middle of the current "funding" discussion, especially right when one
of the remaining Core team members is vocally taking a position that
FontForge development should come to an end and developers should work on
other projects.  Doing it *right now* looks strange, and I'd take it as a
bad sign for the future of FontForge if the future of FontForge were
something I chose to care about.

However, if I'm not a core FontForge developer, then it's not my job to
worry about that.  I am, in fact, working on another project myself -
which is doing okay without funding.

I don't know, but would guess, that you and I still have direct-commit
privilege, at least on the main repository.

--
Matthew Skala
[hidden email]                 People before principles.

Re: You've been removed from the fontforge team Core

Dave Crossland

On 20 April 2016 at 01:20, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think we had too many Core team members and it's probably a good thing
to remove some who weren't really in that role, including myself.

On 20 April 2016 at 03:06, Werner LEMBERG <[hidden email]> wrote:
Let's wait for Dave; maybe he did some innocent clean-up that caused
those irritating messages...

Yep, twas me, thinking the same as Matthew.

Nothing materially changed for you all