Re: Bad rendering of TTF fonts from Fontforge

Re: Bad rendering of TTF fonts from Fontforge

arataj
I had just tried the same font exported in PFA, and the letter `l'
was rendered correctly. But that PFA generated has the space width
problem that I described in the thread `Bug report: space size'.

Perhaps I should ask at the freetype list about the bad rendering,
because Inkscape renders the letter correctly?

Re: Bad rendering of TTF fonts from Fontforge

George Williams
On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 10:30, [hidden email] wrote:
> After an unsuccesful try of using Type1 fonts from Fontforge -- problems with
> space size described in the thread `Bug report: space size', I tried to
> generate TTF instead. Some apps incorectly render these fonts, though -- see
> the screenshot. Inkscape rendered the letter correctly, while GIMP and
> OpenOffice rendered the letter wrongly. Anyone knows why? Is this a problem
> with Fontforge or with these apps? Is there a font format that Fontforge
> generates and that can be used in X window without the problems like that?
It is extremely unlikely that FontForge is producing incorrect fonts. If
it were this would have been found and fixed years ago. I continue to
believe that you are not installing things properly.

On Fri, 2005-05-27 at 11:05, [hidden email] wrote:
> Perhaps I should ask at the freetype list about the bad rendering,
> because Inkscape renders the letter correctly?
It is even less likely that there are problems in freetype. If you
believe this to be the case use ftview to see what freetype does to the
font without mucking with X.

On 30 May 2005 10:50:52 -0700, George Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It is extremely unlikely that FontForge is producing incorrect fonts. If
> it were this would have been found and fixed years ago. I continue to
> believe that you are not installing things properly.
>
> It is even less likely that there are problems in freetype. If you
> believe this to be the case use ftview to see what freetype does to the
> font without mucking with X.

Installing a font in the new font system in X can be done by just copying
the font to the ~/.fonts directory. How it can be done wrong to prevent
a proper rendering of one of the glyphs?

Here is the font, it is named test2:

http://www.iitis.gliwice.pl/~arataj/test2.ttf

Could you check if the glyph is rendered `chopped' on your system in
X version of Gimp or OpenOffice?

Artur

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 01:32, [hidden email] wrote:
> Installing a font in the new font system in X can be done by just copying
> the font to the ~/.fonts directory. How it can be done wrong to prevent
> a proper rendering of one of the glyphs?
I haven't the faintest idea.

> Could you check if the glyph is rendered `chopped' on your system in
> X version of Gimp or OpenOffice?
I don't use OpenOffice.

Re: Bad rendering of TTF fonts from Fontforge

Ralf Stubner
[hidden email] wrote:

> http://www.iitis.gliwice.pl/~arataj/test2.ttf
>
> Could you check if the glyph is rendered `chopped' on your system in
> X version of Gimp or OpenOffice?

The font looks strange an my Debian Sarge system. But that's because of
all the bumps you designed into it and because it uses only about 2/3 of
the available hight. This makes the font look small. I don't see big
differences between different apps.

cheerio
ralf

On 5/31/05, Ralf Stubner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The font looks strange an my Debian Sarge system. But that's because of
> all the bumps you designed into it and because it uses only about 2/3 of
> the available hight.

And because of the complete lack of hinting probably.

> This makes the font look small. I don't see big
> differences between different apps.

The problem I had was with an obviously badly rendered glyph. I use an
extremely buggy linux distro now -- Fedora Core, which I want to
replace for several months already, but I did not expect that even
font rendering will be bad -- I did not notice any problems with the
system fonts. I'll replace the distro at last, and will check if it
corrects the problems.

Cheers,
Artur