Question regarding fontforge not compatible with ppc64le architecture and spin requests

Question regarding fontforge not compatible with ppc64le architecture and spin requests

amit kumar gupta
Hi George,

We are in the process of adding support for new ppc64le (PowerPC 64 bit Little Endian ) architecture and as part of which we are looking at all packages that need update.
I was looking at building "fontforge" on our ppc64le environment and I found that "fontforge" could not be built on ppc64le because it had an outdated libtool.

We have worked with libtool maintainer to get alpha source release which has all the bits and pieces needed for ppc64le support. A stable release is expected soon.
Since your pkg uses libtool and the latest tarball of your pkg didn't build on ppc64le sys. We wanted to request you to upgrade your libtool to the alpha release of libtool.

New libtool alpha release which supports ppc64le arch is available, you may  pick up the alpha release from either of the below :

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.418.tar.gz (1.6MB)

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/libtool/libtool-2.4.2.418.tar.xz (920KB)

It would be great if you can install this new libtool which supports ppc64le, and spin the pkg and let us know the new tar availability. We can test it on ppc64le architecture for you.
Please let me know if you are planning to release or spin newer version.

Currently I used
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fontforge/files/fontforge-source/fontforge_full-20120731-b.tar.bz2/download

Which does not have ppc64le support.

Your response is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Amit

Re: Question regarding fontforge not compatible with ppc64le architecture and spin requests

Jason Pagura
Thank you for your interest in FontForge. The source tarball from Sourceforge.net is outdated. Development has moved to <https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge> and many shortcomings of that last SF release have been dealt with, though I can't be certain of how those advances relate to your particular situation.

Please try compiling from the source files on Github. If you continue to have trouble, please raise an issue there.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 10:06 PM, amit kumar gupta <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

zimbach at gmail dot com

Joe

Re: Question regarding fontforge not compatible with ppc64le architecture and spin requests

Joe
Hi Amit, Hi Deepak,
I believe George is enjoying some time-off, but may also be quietly watching
the current FontForge build progress.
Maybe we are doing good by his metrics, maybe not.
Hopefully we are.

The last FontForge build you refer to, 20120731-b which is located on
sourceforge has been left as-is. Also, there is only about 3 people with
any access to the sourceforge website at this point, maybe 2 or 1. We leave
it as it is.

Since about 20120731, we duplicated FontForge and copied it to github.
The FontForge copy located on github has well over 1000 fixes, patches,
updates, improvements, added since 20120731-b.

If you are interested in getting FontForge working, the github version is
the version you will want to be interested in helping fix and improve.

It is located here: https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge

Before you build FontForge, I ask if you can build 2 libraries which
FontForge uses to it's advantage. When you build FontForge, the build
system should also seek-out and take advantage of these libraries.

Start with the simpler library, "libuninameslist", located here:
https://github.com/fontforge/libuninameslist

This is a static library containing Unicode definitions based on the current
Unicode NameList table, version 6.3. There will likely be an updated
version coming this year when unicode.org updates their definitions.

If you use the master located on github, you will need to build using the
autoconf tools, such as:
autoreconf -i
automake --foreign -Wall
./configure
make
sudo make install

For additional resources that may help you with library libuninameslist,
you can check for version 20130501 located here:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/libu/libuninameslist.html
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libuninameslist
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/libuninameslist/

The second library of interest, is libspiro, located here:
https://github.com/fontforge/libspiro

This library may probably be a bit more difficult for you to get working, but
if you succeed in running 'make check', then you will have additional
confidence that it will work correctly with FontForge, plus, it is also used
as a subset of 'gegl' if you have/use that. I am unaware of other programs
that use it, but it is available for other programs to make use of it.

If you use the master located on github, you will need to build using the
autoconf tools, such as:
autoreconf -i
automake --foreign -Wall
./configure
make
make check
sudo make install

For additional resources that might help, you may want to check:
https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/libspiro/
https://codeclimate.com/github/mxcl/homebrew/Libspiro

Both libraries above are backwards compatible and should work with
FontForge 20120731-b and/or other code.

If the make tools for the ppc64le are not sufficiently updated to use the
autoconf tools, you can use another computer such as a desktop PC to build
a distributable package for both libraries above.

For libuninameslist, you can use:
git clone https://github.com/fontforge/libuninameslist.git ~/lib1
cd ~/lib1
rm -fR .git
autoreconf -i
automake --foreign -Wall
./configure
make dist

inside the directory, you will find a tar.gz which you can transfer to the
ppc64le, and on the ppc64le, you can use the tar.gz file with:
./configure
make
sudo make install

Same for libspiro...
git clone https://github.com/fontforge/libspiro.git ~/lib2
cd ~/lib2
rm -fR .git
autoreconf -i
automake --foreign -Wall
./configure
make dist

and then copy the tar.gz file to the ppc64le which then you only need to use
./configure
make
sudo make install

In terms of FontForge, the make system is progressing, but is not yet at a
point where you can use make dist to transfer a copy to the ppc64le if you
are unable to use autoconf tools.

If you can use autoconf, then, please use the FontForge located on github:
git clone https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge.git ~/fontforge

You might have additional resources here:
http://www.google.ca/search?q=arch+linux+fontforge+20140101

Last, but not least,
We are interested in seeing FontForge run on the ppc64le.
Please try the copy described above, located on GitHub and we can start
from that point to see what is needed to make it go.

Thanks,
Joe

Joe

Re: Question regarding fontforge not compatible with ppc64le architecture and spin requests

Joe
Odd, but just received this:

Something not working correctly with Amit and Deepak's email addresses.

On January 17, 2014 12:55:39 AM Jose Da Silva wrote:
> Hi Amit, Hi Deepak,
...etc...