Quantcast

Put Fontforge on BountySource

Cheng-Chia Tseng
I am wondering if we can put Fontforge on BountySource platform (similar to FreedomSponsors but MUCH MORE popular, and easy connected with GitHub).

BountySource is a funding platform which you can give a bounty on the issue which you want it fixed, and BountySource Salt is a crowdfunding platform that helps developers earn a monthly salary.

For example, I have a issue which I have been hoping it to be fixed (cidmap parsing problem for Source Han Sans https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/issues/1582 ). I have no much programming knowledge and not knowing how to fix that myself. Then I can choose to post a bounty for this issue directly, give an amount of money to Fontforge team for them to decide the usage for one time with BountySource, or give some fees monthly  to Fontforge for the managers to handle the usage with BountySource Salt. I have wanted to post some bounties on the issue and give some fees monthly since I have known the platforms but Fontforge is not on BountySource yet.

FYI, elementaryOS project is using multiple ways to collect funds for developing, BountySource [1], BountySource Salt, Patreon [3], and Indiegogo for specific event (such as a Hackfest in Paris) [https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/elementary-hackfest-in-paris-design#/]. They are doing much well on funding these days.

I suggest we can using BountySource and BountySource Salt to help development of Fontforge. And maybe in the long run, funding a legal foundation to maintain Fontforge for Fontforge like the Blender Foundation to Blender and The Document Foundation to LibreOffice, etc.

 Any thoughts on this?

1. http://blog.elementary.io/post/107662161336/fix-bugs-get-paid
2. http://blog.elementary.io/post/118389907136/getting-salty-with-bountysource
3. https://www.patreon.com/elementary

Re: Put Fontforge on BountySource

Pander
Try to offer easy donating options such as PayPal, Flattr, BountySource
etc. and guide people there in a gentle way. For mobile app, most people
have no problem donating one dollar or euro per app. This way of
microfinancing/sponsoring should find its way to laptop/dekstop
applications.

On 09/12/2016 10:09 PM, Frank Trampe wrote:

> [...]
>         <http://blog.elementary.io/post/118389907136/getting-salty-with-bountysource>
>         3. https://www.patreon.com/elementary
>         <https://www.patreon.com/elementary>

>         What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and traffic
>         patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and protocols are
>         consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
>         J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity
>         planning reports. http://sdm.link/zohodev2dev

>     What NetFlow Analyzer can do for you? Monitors network bandwidth and
>     traffic
>     patterns at an interface-level. Reveals which users, apps, and
>     protocols are
>     consuming the most bandwidth. Provides multi-vendor support for NetFlow,
>     J-Flow, sFlow and other flows. Make informed decisions using capacity

Dave Crossland
FreedomSponsors was a bit spammy which was bad, if BS/salt isn't like that, I think its good.

Salt may be better than Patreon.

Re: Put Fontforge on BountySource

Cheng-Chia Tseng
Frank Trampe <[hidden email]> 於 2016年9月13日 週二 上午4:09寫道:
Most FontForge bugs are specific to small numbers of users, and, despite the massive download count, we have extremely low engagement on GitHub. How many people would actually take the time/trouble to make accounts on BountySource and then put money on issues?

BountySource supports GitHub, Twitter and Facebook accounts login besides BountySource account, and that is easier to approach more audience.

BountySource or other bounty platforms is a way to attract engagement in development. We can put this information at the homepage for users to know they can support Fontforge (directly to specific issue or let Fontforge team decide the usage) even if they don't know how to code/translate/compose documents. Maybe posting campaigns for specific issue or routinely updates on some issues we want to focus on to social network accounts might help attract more eyeballs.

And yeah, we cannot know how many people would actually put the money out of pocket until we try. However, it is just a way to try to attract more GitHub engagement.