On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

andyjusha
I've installed FontForge and I know it works because I use mf2pt1 (a MetaFont to PostScript font converter) which calls FontForge, when I go to terminal and try to run it with "fontforge", I get the following message: Copyright (c) 2000-2012 by George Williams. Executable based on sources from 14:57 GMT 31-Jul-2012-D. Library based on sources from 14:57 GMT 31-Jul-2012. >>> And that's it, it stays there and nothing happens. I'm sure there's a simple explanation for this but when I type "help()", help for Python comes up, nothing useful for FontForge? much thanks,

Re: On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

Peter Dyballa

Am 04.07.2013 um 19:53 schrieb andyjusha:

> And that's it, it stays there and nothing happens.

Do you have X11 installed?

--
Greetings

  Pete

Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed; everything else is public relations.
                        – George Orwell

Re: On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

vernon adams-2
When fontforge is called to launch, do you see a fontforge icon appear in the dock?

Also, try the following in the terminal;

cd /Applications/FontForge.app/Contents/MacOS/

then start fontforge with;

./FontForge --debug

report back here with what is outputted to the terminal.

-v

On 4 Jul 2013, at 10:53, andyjusha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've installed FontForge and I know it works because I use mf2pt1 (a MetaFont to PostScript font converter) which calls FontForge, when I go to terminal and try to run it with "fontforge", I get the following message: Copyright (c) 2000-2012 by George Williams. Executable based on sources from 14:57 GMT 31-Jul-2012-D. Library based on sources from 14:57 GMT 31-Jul-2012. >>> And that's it, it stays there and nothing happens. I'm sure there's a simple explanation for this but when I type "help()", help for Python comes up, nothing useful for FontForge? much thanks,
> Sent from the User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Re: On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

Peter Baker-2
Sounds like X missing or not found. Better tell us something about your system.

Sent from my Galaxy S®III

I've installed FontForge and I know it works because I use mf2pt1 (a MetaFont to PostScript font converter) which calls FontForge, when I go to terminal and try to run it with "fontforge", I get the following message: Copyright (c) 2000-2012 by George Williams. Executable based on sources from 14:57 GMT 31-Jul-2012-D. Library based on sources from 14:57 GMT 31-Jul-2012. >>> And that's it, it stays there and nothing happens. I'm sure there's a simple explanation for this but when I type "help()", help for Python comes up, nothing useful for FontForge? much thanks,

Re: On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

andyjusha
No icon appears in the dock. I do have XQuartz installed.

The Fontforge.app I have in my applications is the package which runs fine, but I don't think it's the Fontforge that gets called when I run shell scripts.

And the one I run from shell I think is the one in /usr/bin, which leaves me hanging.

Re: On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

Julian Thomas

On 8Jul  2013, at 3:56 AM, andyjusha <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No icon appears in the dock. I do have XQuartz installed.

I don't have an icon either.

> The Fontforge.app I have in my applications is the  package
> <http://fontforge.github.io/en-US/downloads/mac/>   which runs fine, but I
> don't think it's the Fontforge that gets called when I run shell scripts.

The one I installed is fontforge_full-20120731-b.tar.bz2 - not sure where I got it.

> And the one I run from shell I think is the one in /usr/bin, which leaves me
> hanging.

On my machine I have:

jtImac:/Users/jt>>which fontforge
/opt/local/bin/fontforge

If I key fontforge into a shell window it comes up.

--
Sent from my iMac
Julian Thomas

Am 08.07.2013 um 20:44 schrieb Julian Thomas:

> The one I installed is fontforge_full-20120731-b.tar.bz2 - not sure where I got it.

Plays no role: this archive contains the sources.

> On my machine I have:
>
> jtImac:/Users/jt>>which fontforge
> /opt/local/bin/fontforge

Obviously compiled and installed by MacPorts…

--
Greetings

  Pete

To be is to do.
                        – I. Kant
To do is to be.
                        – A. Sartre
Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
                        – F. Flintstone

Re: On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

vernon adams-2
Yes. Looks like you have a mix of fontforge installed by macports (or home-brew?) and some sources from elsewhere.

In my opinion your best bet would be to uninstall the macports install, and get one of the new fontforge binaries from http://fuuko.libferris.com/osx/packages/
Newest is at http://fuuko.libferris.com/osx/packages/201307/09_0421/

unpack the zip, and drag the unpacked 'fontforge' to your Applications folder. Double click it to run etc.

-v

On 8 Jul 2013, at 12:22, Peter Dyballa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 08.07.2013 um 20:44 schrieb Julian Thomas:
>
>> The one I installed is fontforge_full-20120731-b.tar.bz2 - not sure where I got it.
>
> Plays no role: this archive contains the sources.
>
>> On my machine I have:
>>
>> jtImac:/Users/jt>>which fontforge
>> /opt/local/bin/fontforge
>
> Obviously compiled and installed by MacPorts…
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>  Pete
>
> To be is to do.
> – I. Kant
> To do is to be.
> – A. Sartre
> Yabba-Dabba-Doo!
> – F. Flintstone

Re: On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

Rainer Schuetz

On 8 Jul 2013, at 21:45, Vernon Adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In my opinion your best bet would be to uninstall the macports install, and get one of the new fontforge binaries from http://fuuko.libferris.com/osx/packages/

Man, I didn't know this existed… Lovely build! Thanks a lot!!!
Best
.r.

---
Powered by interest®

Re: On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

andyjusha
Thank you for this link, this is not easily found… but if I install the wrapped .app version how can I continue to call FontForge from the command line?

Re: On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

Anton Sherwood

On 2013-7-08 13:04, Rainer Schuetz wrote:
> Man, I didn't know this existed… Lovely build! Thanks a lot!!!

Hm.  I took the latest from there, launched it
and it quits immediately.

--
*\\*  Anton Sherwood  *\\*  www.bendwavy.org

Joe

On May 14, 2014 04:37:20 AM andyjusha wrote:
> Thank you for this link, this is not easily found… but if I install the
> wrapped .app version how can I continue to call FontForge from the
> command line?

Many examples found through google (including a youtube howto):
https://www.google.ca/search?q=mac+terminal+howto

In Linux, some command line shells are called "Terminal".
I tried Mac a couple months ago to help someone fix something, and the
terminal does exist - runs sort of like BSD/linux in behaviour.

If/when you open a terminal, you could type:
fontfor     ...and then press the TAB button, and it should autocomplete as
fontforge if fontforge is installed on your computer and is in the PATH of
programs to run.

To run a script, you need to add options and the location/name of the
script. On the command line, you can type:
fontforge --help

On 2014-5-14 21:02, Jose Da Silva wrote:
> I tried Mac a couple months ago to help someone fix something, and the
> terminal does exist - runs sort of like BSD/linux in behaviour.

Sure, I have a Terminal window open on MacOS literally all the time.
The shell is bash, the kernel is (i'm told) a descendant of BSD.

Am 14.05.2014 um 13:37 schrieb andyjusha:

> if I install the wrapped .app version how can I continue to call FontForge from the command line?

Inside the application bundle it can be found. Finder shows the application bundle as kind of a directory. With a Control-click on it a menu opens, offering to show the package contents. In Terminal or xterm (I think you would need X11 anyway to run FontForge as a GUI) you can launch it as, for example, /Applications/FontForge.app/Contents/MacOS/FontForge. Ib bash or such you can create a shell alias, ff for example, holding the whole path name.

--
Greetings

  Pete

There are very few jobs that actually require a penis or vagina. All other jobs should be open to everybody.
                                – Florynce Kennedy

Re: On OS X, FontForge works to run scripts, but doesn't start?

thespurlocks
To start: I am not this tech savvy...and i don't work a lot in developer tools or in terminal.

To continue: I don't really know why I need to install X11...but I did, and I installed FontForge. I changed the preference in X11 to not enable key equivalence. Now when I open FontForge it just bounces on the dock and never opens...

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.