OS X compile problem (liconv)

Andrew Bernstein
I'm trying to compile Fontforge (fontforge-20050502) in Jaguar (mac OS
10.2.8) on a G3. Perviously I was able to do this just fine but I had
to make a clean re-install of everything on my HD. After installing
XDarwin and OroborOSX, I attempted to runt he install from the
OroborOSX terminal.

The ./configure went fine, but the make ended abruptly with this error
message:

ld: can't locate file for: -liconv
make[1]: *** [pfaedit-en.ui] Error 1
make: *** [fontforge] Error 2

What am I doing wrong here? If liconv is an essential package, why
can't I find it anywhere online?

Thanks

--A

Re: OS X compile problem (liconv)

George Williams
On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 00:41, Andrew Bernstein wrote:

> I'm trying to compile Fontforge (fontforge-20050502) in Jaguar (mac OS
> 10.2.8) on a G3. Perviously I was able to do this just fine but I had
> to make a clean re-install of everything on my HD. After installing
> XDarwin and OroborOSX, I attempted to runt he install from the
> OroborOSX terminal.
>
> The ./configure went fine, but the make ended abruptly with this error
> message:
>
> ld: can't locate file for: -liconv
> make[1]: *** [pfaedit-en.ui] Error 1
> make: *** [fontforge] Error 2
>
> What am I doing wrong here? If liconv is an essential package, why
> can't I find it anywhere online?
iconv is not essential. It is provided by most unix-like systems now
(including 10.3, but not 10.2). You may need to look for libiconv. But
it is probably easier just to say
        ./configure --without-iconv

However the configure script is supposed to notice when you don't have
iconv on your system. Could you also do
        ./configure >errs 2>&1
and send me the error file (do that before you do the --without-iconv)