Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

Dave Crossland
Hi!

http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2014/?p=199

The Call for Participation has now been published!

For this year we are especially interested in presentations that
showcase how the gap between technical and design development can be
bridged.

We are looking for:

In-depth presentations on Libre Graphics technologies
Showcases of excellent work made using Libre Graphics tools
New projects in this area to meet the wider community
Reports, use-cases, best practices
New emerging media; breaking free from analog constraints
Well articulated ideas for future approaches, tools and standards

Available formats are:

Lightning talk (10 minutes, selected at the event unconference style)
Presentations (20 minutes extendable to 40 minutes)
Entry for State of the Libre Graphics Union (1-2 slides)
Workshops (2 hours or more)
Birds Of a Feather (BOF), discussion meetings or Hackathons (2 hrs or more)

The 2014 Libre Graphics Meeting will be held April 2 – 5 in Leipzig,
Germany at Universität Leipzig.

Deadline for submissions: 15 January 2014

Selection notifications by: 25 January 2014 at the latest.

http://libregraphicsmeeting.org/2014/?page_id=165

The Libre Graphics Meeting 2014 will take place 2. – 5. April 2014 in
Leipzig, Germany.
This yearly event is an occasion for projects and individual
contributors/artists from all over the world to work together, to
share experiences and to hear about new ideas.

By Libre Graphics we mean Free, Libre and Open Source tools for
design, illustration, photography, typography, art, graphics, page
layout, publishing, cartography, animation, video, interactive media,
generative graphics and visual live-coding. The Libre Graphics Meeting
is not just about software, but extends to standards, file formats and
actual use of these in creative work.
We are looking for:

In-depth presentations on Libre Graphics technologies
Showcases of excellent work made using Libre Graphics tools
New projects in this area to meet the wider community
Reports, use-cases, best practices
New emerging media; breaking free from analog constraints
Well articulated ideas for future approaches, tools and standards

Available formats (including questions):

Lightning talk (10 minutes, selected at the event unconference style)
Presentations (20 minutes extendable to 40 minutes)
Entry for State of the Libre Graphics Union (1-2 slides)
Workshops (2 hours or more)
Birds Of a Feather (BOF), discussion meetings or Hackathons (2 hrs or more)

State of the Libre Graphics Union:
We will kick off this year’s event with a joint session that sums up
all things that have happened in our wide landscape over the last
year. Instead of slots in the schedule for general updates on each and
every libre graphics project, we invite you to submit a maximum of two
slides, show-casing new abilities and/or text enumerating the leaps
forward that your project made.

Special focus:
For the 2014 edition of LGM, we are specifically interested in
presentations that showcase how the gap between technical and design
development can be bridged. We are looking for contributions on
computational and generative media; examples of projects where design
decisions and experimentation is done directly with logic and code or
indirectly with the end user providing constraints/selection of good
results. We are interested in projects where design and development
are considered necessary ingredients in a collaborative process done
by peers of technological artists, using and pushing the constraints
of creative work.
Practical Details:

Call opens Monday 25. November 2014

Deadline: 15. January 2014. We will let you know if your presentation
is selected by 25. January 2014 latest.

In the context of the meeting, we prefer short and concise presentations.

For each BOF or meeting that will be on the public schedule, we ask
you to provide a report, to be made available to the Libre Graphics
Community afterwards.

If you propose a workshop, let us know what you expect participants to
bring, in terms of both prior experience and required items
(sketchbook, laptop with which applications installed, etc.)

--
Cheers
Dave

Re: [GFD] Re: Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

vernon adams-2
Dave,
Do you have talks (or know of talks) planned from the ‘libre font’ area that fit the  call for presentations on "how the gap between technical and design development can be bridged” ?

I’m toying with the idea of submitting something like an “A non-experts guide to making libre fonts, quickly and easily”, suggesting workflows, techniques, floss software, that can be used for anyone with the inclination to produce and publish free fonts.

-v

On 5 Jan 2014 11:54, "vernon adams" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dave,
> Do you have talks (or know of talks) planned from the ‘libre font’ area that fit the  call for presentations on "how the gap between technical and design development can be bridged” ?

I don't. I could present font bakery, not sure how interesting it is for this audience.

> I’m toying with the idea of submitting something like an “A non-experts guide to making libre fonts, quickly and easily”, suggesting workflows, techniques, floss software, that can be used for anyone with the inclination to produce and publish free fonts.

Book sprint 2.0?

> -v
>
> On 5 Jan 2014, at 07:23, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Quick reminder that the call for papers is closing in a few weeks :)

Re: [GFD] Re: Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

vernon adams-2
oh. good one!

 :)

On 5 Jan 2014, at 14:53, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > I’m toying with the idea of submitting something like an “A non-experts guide to making libre fonts, quickly and easily”, suggesting workflows, techniques, floss software, that can be used for anyone with the inclination to produce and publish free fonts.
>
> Book sprint 2.0?

Re: [GFD] Re: Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

Frank E. Blokland
Vernon: 'I’m toying with the idea of submitting something like an “A
non-experts guide to making libre fonts, quickly and easily […]'

I suggest 'efficiently' instead of 'quickly and easily'. I'm making
fonts since the midst 1980s and I have never considered this easy.

In the period 1980-1996 the Dutch pianist and conductor Reinbert de
Leeuw recorded Satie's 'Gnossiennes' and 'Gymnopédies'. He performed
these *extremely* slow (for instance his first 'Gymnopédie' is half as
fast as Aldo Ciccolini's interpretation). I recall his remark that
there were many pianists that could play fast, but that nobody could
play as slow as he did. The result is absolutely beautiful.

FEB

Re: [GFD] Re: Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

vernon adams-2
:)

thanks Frank.

I’m not anti slowness, just thought it would make an interesting subject for a talk. Wherease yet another talk on ‘being efficient’… snore-dom!
As a painter as well as a font maker, i can appreciate the opposite of ‘quick and easy’ too, but  ‘efficiency’ does not allways give the most interesting results either. Myron Stout (http://www.pinterest.com/newtypo/myron-stout/) took decades to paint single geometric paintings.
Also; life is very short and likely totally meaningless :)

-v

On 6 Jan 2014, at 00:30, Frank E. Blokland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Vernon: 'I’m toying with the idea of submitting something like an “A non-experts guide to making libre fonts, quickly and easily […]'
>
> I suggest 'efficiently' instead of 'quickly and easily'. I'm making fonts since the midst 1980s and I have never considered this easy.
>
> In the period 1980-1996 the Dutch pianist and conductor Reinbert de Leeuw recorded Satie's 'Gnossiennes' and 'Gymnopédies'. He performed these *extremely* slow (for instance his first 'Gymnopédie' is half as fast as Aldo Ciccolini's interpretation). I recall his remark that there were many pianists that could play fast, but that nobody could play as slow as he did. The result is absolutely beautiful.
>
> FEB

> Google Font Directory Discussions
> http://groups.google.com/group/googlefontdirectory-discuss

Re: [OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Re: Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

Nathan Willis-4

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM, vernon adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m not anti slowness, just thought it would make an interesting subject for a talk. Wherease yet another talk on ‘being efficient’… snore-dom!

Speaking as a barely-self-taught non-expert, when first getting started I think there's considerable overlap between efficiency and speed -- you lose a lot of time early on doing things in a sub-optimal order, redoing things the "right" way, and so on.  So you might not draw faster or make design decisions quicker due to hearing a talk on the subject, but you can certainly save quite a few hours in other parts of the process.

Nate
--
nathan.p.willis

Re: [GFD] Re: Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

vernon adams-2
Daniel,

Cool.

Well, just to start,  there’s fontforge;
https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge

and the how-to-design-with-fontforge book;
http://designwithfontforge.com/

and metapolator;
http://metapolator.com/

I think it would be fun (and interesting) to write something that approaches font making from a totally, unashamedly, non-mystify point of view. Like an IKEA flat pack for fonts. There, i said it… "like IKEA instructions for making fonts”.

I will think more on this and start collecting material, so feel free to email me further off-list with any questions or help.

-vernon

On 8 Jan 2014, at 10:22, Daniel Kahn Gillmor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [offlist, since i'm not sure what lists to reply on -- i'm only
> subscribed to fontforge-devel]
>
> On 01/05/2014 11:51 AM, vernon adams wrote:
>
>> Do you have talks (or know of talks) planned from the ‘libre font’ area that fit the  call for presentations on "how the gap between technical and design development can be bridged” ?
>>
>> I’m toying with the idea of submitting something like an “A non-experts guide to making libre fonts, quickly and easily”, suggesting workflows, techniques, floss software, that can be used for anyone with the inclination to produce and publish free fonts.
>
> Vernon, this sounds awesome.  I have a couple high school teachers and a
> group of students looking at starting a project around fonts at a school
> that runs almost all free software.  do you have materials or details or
> workflows or suggestions written down that i could pass on to them?
>
> Regards,
>
> --dkg

Re: [OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Re: Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

Raphaël Bastide-2
I am wondering if I answer to the call for participation this year, I need your opinion:
I could present a project called Use & Modify. It is a personal and selection of libre fonts that will be hosted on usemodify.com
The aim of this project is to make a link a between contemporary typographic use by graphic designers, independent type designers, students and the libre font community. Use and modify will be the missing link between Google fonts and Open Font Library. This will be the link I will send to all those people who ask me for a “cool and fresh libre font list”. Finally, this project focuses on a rich set of filters and classification. Licenses, completeness, people, style…

The project will be achieved and online in time evidently.
Let me know if you think it make sense for a prez in Leipzig.

Inline image 1

Inline image 2

--
Raphaël Bastide
raphaelbastide.com

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Nathan Willis <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM, vernon adams <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m not anti slowness, just thought it would make an interesting subject for a talk. Wherease yet another talk on ‘being efficient’… snore-dom!

Speaking as a barely-self-taught non-expert, when first getting started I think there's considerable overlap between efficiency and speed -- you lose a lot of time early on doing things in a sub-optimal order, redoing things the "right" way, and so on.  So you might not draw faster or make design decisions quicker due to hearing a talk on the subject, but you can certainly save quite a few hours in other parts of the process.

Nate
--
nathan.p.willis

Re: [OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Re: Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

Dave Crossland
Yes, this sounds great!

Re: [OpenFontLibrary] [GFD] Re: Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

vernon adams-2
does sound really great.
:)

On 11 Jan 2014, at 08:50, Raphaël Bastide <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Let me know if you think it make sense for a prez in Leipzig.

Re: [GFD] Re: Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

Kristof Bastiaensen-2
I have some ideas for a talk.  My program, a Metafont implementation that
generates splines isn't quite ready yet, but I can make a workable demo
for showing some features of parametric font design:

- Professor Knuth's way of generating bezier curves by using a global
optimization algorithm
- Benefits of parametric font design:
   * more consistency in a font
   * prototyping and making global changes quickly
   * creating multiple optical font sizes from one source
- How parametric design can be implemented in an interactive program

Regards,
Kristof Bastiaensen

On 05-01-14 17:51, vernon adams wrote:

> Dave,
> Do you have talks (or know of talks) planned from the ‘libre font’ area that fit the  call for presentations on "how the gap between technical and design development can be bridged” ?
>
> I’m toying with the idea of submitting something like an “A non-experts guide to making libre fonts, quickly and easily”, suggesting workflows, techniques, floss software, that can be used for anyone with the inclination to produce and publish free fonts.
>
> -v
>
> On 5 Jan 2014, at 07:23, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Quick reminder that the call for papers is closing in a few weeks :)

Re: [GFD] Re: Libre Graphics Meeting 2014: Call For Paper

Dave Crossland

Hi

That sounds ideal for lgm!

Cheers