Interactive mode for scripting language

Alistar Erlas
Greetings,

You ought to consider adding several features to
Fontforge which I believe would make it eisier for
people to script fontforge and be able to control it
and use it from other programs:

A command line option to keep the GUI from appearing

A command line option to provide a command line mode
for the scripting language, where commands can be
given to the scripting language at a prompt, one after
another, without having to run fontforge each time.
The fontforge process would keep running, and accept
new commands one after another and process them. This
would be useful for a program that needs to generate
fonts on the fly, continuously, so font forge doesnt
have to be started each time a font needs to be
produced.

The ability to send font data produced by fontforge to
STDOUT rather than to a file, this would allow another
program controlling font forge to recieve the font
data from fontforge directly via STDIO rather than
reading it from a file.

Thank you for your work on fontforge, it is grealy appreciated.

Re: Interactive mode for scripting language

George Williams
On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 14:00, Milscvaer wrote:
> A command line option to keep the GUI from appearing
There is one. -script.
Or you can compile ff with no UI at all.

> A command line option to provide a command line mode
> for the scripting language, where commands can be
> given to the scripting language at a prompt,
Again there is one. "-"

> The fontforge process would keep running, and accept
> new commands one after another and process them. This
> would be useful for a program that needs to generate
> fonts on the fly, continuously, so font forge doesnt
> have to be started each time a font needs to be
> produced.
But currently it does not process commands until it gets an end of file.
(the looping commands use seeks, so it copies stdin to a file that can
be seeked before executing anything. It would be nicer if it did give
immediate feedback, but I haven't been given a reason yet to add the
additional complexity to make that happen.

> The ability to send font data produced by fontforge to
> STDOUT rather than to a file, this would allow another
> program controlling font forge to recieve the font
> data from fontforge directly via STDIO rather than
> reading it from a file.
Hmm. Many font formats pretty much need seekable files during font
generation. ff would have to generate temporary files and then write
them to stdout. Why do you want to be able to read font data from stdin?
How would you know where to find the start and end of the font on stdout
that had a continuous stream of fonts written to it (as your previous
comment suggests)