Quantcast

Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

Simon Håkansson

Greetings'

I have a set of ca. 300 glyphs that I hoped to transform into a font using FontForge. All glyphs are created in Adobe Illustrator. My problem is, after I import the SVGs (I have also tried other export and import options to no avail) the shape of the bezier curves is altered slightly, but with horrendous effects (see attached images). The shapes are ungrouped outlines that could be further optimized—as it seems such optimization only makes my troubles worse I'm holding off until I can get them to import properly. When viewed with other programs the SVGs appear as they do in illustrator so the fault doesn't seem to be on Adobe's side. I tried updating to the newest version with no difference. changing from cubic to square interpolation of the layers does nothing.

I don't know how I should proceed, the only workaround I have found so far is to increase the number of nodes in affected glyphs by a factor of two or three, hardly something that seems desirable.

Is there some hidden setting that changes the way FontForge handles SVGs that could make them appear as they do in other programs?

I'm including two examples with the SVG files themselves (the included line is to get the glyphs placed correctly vertically during import) and images of how they appear on my computer

I couldn't find anyone else referencing this problem in the archives of the mailing lists.

Thank you,

Simon Håkansson

(this is my second try, I sent this mail around two weeks ago with png images instead of gif, the file size exceeded 40Kb and I was told that it was awaiting moderation, it never happened, thus I'm uploading again)

Re: Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

MMacD
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 07:24:58 +0000, you wrote:

>________________________________
>

>Greetings'
>

>I have a set of ca. 300 glyphs that I hoped to transform into a font using FontForge. All glyphs are created in Adobe Illustrator. My problem is, after I import the SVGs (I have also tried other export and import options to no avail) the shape of the bezier curves is altered slightly, but with horrendous effects (see attached images). The shapes are ungrouped outlines that could be further optimized—as it seems such optimization only makes my troubles worse I'm holding off until I can get them to import properly. When viewed with other programs the SVGs appear as they do in illustrator so the fault doesn't seem to be on Adobe's side. I tried updating to the newest version with no difference. changing from cubic to square interpolation of the layers does nothing.

To me, the FF lines appear to change their thickness as they go.
Is that the problem you're having?

If it is, I'd suggest that it's a difference in how FF places
(interpolates for) partial pixels.  This might be able to be
solved by changing the nominal per-character resolution in FF
from 1 000 pixels to, e.g., 10 000 pixels (I've not tried this,
so it might be that 10 000 pixels is out of range for FF, but
it's worth investigating, and even if you can't go to 10 000 you
might be able to solve the problem at some smaller increase such
as 5 000)

If it is an interpolation problem, upping the resolution that way
might help, since FF would then be able to place the controlling
nodes more in accord with your intention.  Once the font is
created, you might have to fool around with point sizes, e.g.
using 10pt where you would use 100pt for some other font, since
the scaling algorithm would be dealing with nominal metrics 10X
the usual size, linearly.  Or the interpreters might already
understand that 10 000 isn't really meant to be 10X the size of
any other chars, and preserve the usual point-sizing "for free".

If it is an iterpolation problem, but you can't up the resolution
sufficiently, your only other choice is to look closely at what
FF is doing (is it squeezing or expanding or both?) and try to
out-guess it, modifying your node positions by hand.  The very
definition of "tedious", of course, but it should work.

>I don't know how I should proceed, the only workaround I have found so far is to increase the number of nodes in affected glyphs by a factor of two or three, hardly something that seems desirable.

>Is there some hidden setting that changes the way FontForge handles SVGs that could make them appear as they do in other programs?
>

>I'm including two examples with the SVG files themselves (the included line is to get the glyphs placed correctly vertically during import) and images of how they appear on my computer
>

>I couldn't find anyone else referencing this problem in the archives of the mailing lists.
>

>Thank you,
>
>Simon Håkansson
>

>(this is my second try, I sent this mail around two weeks ago with png images instead of gif, the file size exceeded 40Kb and I was told that it was awaiting moderation, it never happened, thus I'm uploading again)

Re: Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

Simon Håkansson

Hello, your reply managed to get into my junk folder so I completely missed it until now.

I have looked through the various settings available but can't find any that reference the nominal per-character resolution, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Simon

> [...]

>Is there some hidden setting that changes the way FontForge handles SVGs that could make them appear as they do in other programs?
>

>I'm including two examples with the SVG files themselves (the included line is to get the glyphs placed correctly vertically during import) and images of how they appear on my computer
>

>I couldn't find anyone else referencing this problem in the archives of the mailing lists.
>

>Thank you,
>
>Simon Håkansson
>

>(this is my second try, I sent this mail around two weeks ago with png images instead of gif, the file size exceeded 40Kb and I was told that it was awaiting moderation, it never happened, thus I'm uploading again)

Re: Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

I run the editor under FreeBSD, so there might be some
differences to your setup.  But in mine, it seems to be in
Element -> Font Info -> General, where it shows nominal values
for em size, ascent, descent, underline position, etc.  Em size
is a dropdown list, giving me a choice of 1000, 1024, 2048, and
4096.  But the field is editable, and appears willing to go up to
at least 100 000, the dependent values scaling automagically.   I
didn't try to make that value permanent because the  font is one
I'm working on, but there weren't any preliminary complaints from
FF.

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:10:24 +0000, you wrote:

>Hello, your reply managed to get into my junk folder so I completely missed it until now.
>

>I have looked through the various settings available but can't find any that reference the nominal per-character resolution, could you point me in the right direction?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Simon
>

>________________________________

ivan louette
Hello,

did you try to open in Inkscape your svg files created with Illustrator
and then save them as svg from Inkscape ? I use Inkscape daily to create
my fonts and don't have problems to bring them to FontForge without
deformations.

ivan

Le 29/04/17 à 13:19, [hidden email] a écrit :

> I run the editor under FreeBSD, so there might be some
> differences to your setup.  But in mine, it seems to be in
> Element -> Font Info -> General, where it shows nominal values
> for em size, ascent, descent, underline position, etc.  Em size
> is a dropdown list, giving me a choice of 1000, 1024, 2048, and
> 4096.  But the field is editable, and appears willing to go up to
> at least 100 000, the dependent values scaling automagically.   I
> didn't try to make that value permanent because the  font is one
> I'm working on, but there weren't any preliminary complaints from
> FF.
>
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:10:24 +0000, you wrote:
>
>> Hello, your reply managed to get into my junk folder so I completely missed it until now.
>>

>> I have looked through the various settings available but can't find any that reference the nominal per-character resolution, could you point me in the right direction?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> ________________________________

Thanks for your suggestions Gé van Gasteren and cratch65535, changing the em size did nothing, the problems remain even when I set it to the max of 16384.

I think I'll have to look into other font creation software

I run the editor under FreeBSD, so there might be some
differences to your setup.  But in mine, it seems to be in
Element -> Font Info -> General, where it shows nominal values
for em size, ascent, descent, underline position, etc.  Em size
is a dropdown list, giving me a choice of 1000, 1024, 2048, and
4096.  But the field is editable, and appears willing to go up to
at least 100 000, the dependent values scaling automagically.   I
didn't try to make that value permanent because the  font is one
I'm working on, but there weren't any preliminary complaints from
FF.

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:10:24 +0000, you wrote:

>Hello, your reply managed to get into my junk folder so I completely missed it until now.
>

>I have looked through the various settings available but can't find any that reference the nominal per-character resolution, could you point me in the right direction?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Simon
>

>________________________________

Max Rabkin-2
Before you go, please consider reporting the bug in FontForge's issue tracker: https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/issues

Developers do not always follow the users mailing list.

On 6 May 2017 at 10:10, Simon Håkansson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions Gé van Gasteren and cratch65535, changing the em size did nothing, the problems remain even when I set it to the max of 16384.

I think I'll have to look into other font creation software

I run the editor under FreeBSD, so there might be some
differences to your setup.  But in mine, it seems to be in
Element -> Font Info -> General, where it shows nominal values
for em size, ascent, descent, underline position, etc.  Em size
is a dropdown list, giving me a choice of 1000, 1024, 2048, and
4096.  But the field is editable, and appears willing to go up to
at least 100 000, the dependent values scaling automagically.   I
didn't try to make that value permanent because the  font is one
I'm working on, but there weren't any preliminary complaints from
FF.

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:10:24 +0000, you wrote:

>Hello, your reply managed to get into my junk folder so I completely missed it until now.
>

>I have looked through the various settings available but can't find any that reference the nominal per-character resolution, could you point me in the right direction?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Simon
>

>________________________________

Compare the positions of the Bezier control handles in
Illustrator vs FF.  Are they the same?  They should be, to
produce the same result.  If they're different, that suggests the
solution:  move the control handles in FF to match the handles in
AI.  Or just go through and adjust the handles til the strokes
look good, regardless of where the AI handles are.

Were I in your place, I'd try to solve the problem using FF. I've
used several font editors and FF offers the most control apart,
*possibly*, from the VERY expensive "professional" font editors.
FF's u/i is definitely an annoying olla podrida, and had I the
time I'd fork the source and fix that, but once you get past the
craziness, it really is a very competent editor.

On Sat, 6 May 2017 08:10:02 +0000, you wrote:

>Thanks for your suggestions Gé van Gasteren and cratch65535, changing the em size did nothing, the problems remain even when I set it to the max of 16384.
>
>I think I'll have to look into other font creation software

Pander
I had some artifacts too but cannot reproduce them with latest FF from
git and reimporting all SVG (via a script). Perhaps this might help.