Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

Simon Håkansson

Greetings'

I have a set of ca. 300 glyphs that I hoped to transform into a font using FontForge. All glyphs are created in Adobe Illustrator. My problem is, after I import the SVGs (I have also tried other export and import options to no avail) the shape of the bezier curves is altered slightly, but with horrendous effects (see attached images). The shapes are ungrouped outlines that could be further optimized—as it seems such optimization only makes my troubles worse I'm holding off until I can get them to import properly. When viewed with other programs the SVGs appear as they do in illustrator so the fault doesn't seem to be on Adobe's side. I tried updating to the newest version with no difference. changing from cubic to square interpolation of the layers does nothing.

I don't know how I should proceed, the only workaround I have found so far is to increase the number of nodes in affected glyphs by a factor of two or three, hardly something that seems desirable.

Is there some hidden setting that changes the way FontForge handles SVGs that could make them appear as they do in other programs?

I'm including two examples with the SVG files themselves (the included line is to get the glyphs placed correctly vertically during import) and images of how they appear on my computer

I couldn't find anyone else referencing this problem in the archives of the mailing lists.

Thank you,

Simon Håkansson

(this is my second try, I sent this mail around two weeks ago with png images instead of gif, the file size exceeded 40Kb and I was told that it was awaiting moderation, it never happened, thus I'm uploading again)

Re: Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

MMacD
On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 07:24:58 +0000, you wrote:

>________________________________
>

>Greetings'
>

>I have a set of ca. 300 glyphs that I hoped to transform into a font using FontForge. All glyphs are created in Adobe Illustrator. My problem is, after I import the SVGs (I have also tried other export and import options to no avail) the shape of the bezier curves is altered slightly, but with horrendous effects (see attached images). The shapes are ungrouped outlines that could be further optimized—as it seems such optimization only makes my troubles worse I'm holding off until I can get them to import properly. When viewed with other programs the SVGs appear as they do in illustrator so the fault doesn't seem to be on Adobe's side. I tried updating to the newest version with no difference. changing from cubic to square interpolation of the layers does nothing.

To me, the FF lines appear to change their thickness as they go.
Is that the problem you're having?

If it is, I'd suggest that it's a difference in how FF places
(interpolates for) partial pixels.  This might be able to be
solved by changing the nominal per-character resolution in FF
from 1 000 pixels to, e.g., 10 000 pixels (I've not tried this,
so it might be that 10 000 pixels is out of range for FF, but
it's worth investigating, and even if you can't go to 10 000 you
might be able to solve the problem at some smaller increase such
as 5 000)

If it is an interpolation problem, upping the resolution that way
might help, since FF would then be able to place the controlling
nodes more in accord with your intention.  Once the font is
created, you might have to fool around with point sizes, e.g.
using 10pt where you would use 100pt for some other font, since
the scaling algorithm would be dealing with nominal metrics 10X
the usual size, linearly.  Or the interpreters might already
understand that 10 000 isn't really meant to be 10X the size of
any other chars, and preserve the usual point-sizing "for free".

If it is an iterpolation problem, but you can't up the resolution
sufficiently, your only other choice is to look closely at what
FF is doing (is it squeezing or expanding or both?) and try to
out-guess it, modifying your node positions by hand.  The very
definition of "tedious", of course, but it should work.

>I don't know how I should proceed, the only workaround I have found so far is to increase the number of nodes in affected glyphs by a factor of two or three, hardly something that seems desirable.

>Is there some hidden setting that changes the way FontForge handles SVGs that could make them appear as they do in other programs?
>

>I'm including two examples with the SVG files themselves (the included line is to get the glyphs placed correctly vertically during import) and images of how they appear on my computer
>

>I couldn't find anyone else referencing this problem in the archives of the mailing lists.
>

>Thank you,
>
>Simon Håkansson
>

>(this is my second try, I sent this mail around two weeks ago with png images instead of gif, the file size exceeded 40Kb and I was told that it was awaiting moderation, it never happened, thus I'm uploading again)

Re: Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

Simon Håkansson

Hello, your reply managed to get into my junk folder so I completely missed it until now.

I have looked through the various settings available but can't find any that reference the nominal per-character resolution, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Simon

> [...]

>Is there some hidden setting that changes the way FontForge handles SVGs that could make them appear as they do in other programs?
>

>I'm including two examples with the SVG files themselves (the included line is to get the glyphs placed correctly vertically during import) and images of how they appear on my computer
>

>I couldn't find anyone else referencing this problem in the archives of the mailing lists.
>

>Thank you,
>
>Simon Håkansson
>

>(this is my second try, I sent this mail around two weeks ago with png images instead of gif, the file size exceeded 40Kb and I was told that it was awaiting moderation, it never happened, thus I'm uploading again)

Re: Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

I run the editor under FreeBSD, so there might be some
differences to your setup.  But in mine, it seems to be in
Element -> Font Info -> General, where it shows nominal values
for em size, ascent, descent, underline position, etc.  Em size
is a dropdown list, giving me a choice of 1000, 1024, 2048, and
4096.  But the field is editable, and appears willing to go up to
at least 100 000, the dependent values scaling automagically.   I
didn't try to make that value permanent because the  font is one
I'm working on, but there weren't any preliminary complaints from
FF.

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:10:24 +0000, you wrote:

>Hello, your reply managed to get into my junk folder so I completely missed it until now.
>

>I have looked through the various settings available but can't find any that reference the nominal per-character resolution, could you point me in the right direction?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Simon
>

>________________________________

ivan louette
Hello,

did you try to open in Inkscape your svg files created with Illustrator
and then save them as svg from Inkscape ? I use Inkscape daily to create
my fonts and don't have problems to bring them to FontForge without
deformations.

ivan

Le 29/04/17 à 13:19, [hidden email] a écrit :

> I run the editor under FreeBSD, so there might be some
> differences to your setup.  But in mine, it seems to be in
> Element -> Font Info -> General, where it shows nominal values
> for em size, ascent, descent, underline position, etc.  Em size
> is a dropdown list, giving me a choice of 1000, 1024, 2048, and
> 4096.  But the field is editable, and appears willing to go up to
> at least 100 000, the dependent values scaling automagically.   I
> didn't try to make that value permanent because the  font is one
> I'm working on, but there weren't any preliminary complaints from
> FF.
>
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:10:24 +0000, you wrote:
>
>> Hello, your reply managed to get into my junk folder so I completely missed it until now.
>>

>> I have looked through the various settings available but can't find any that reference the nominal per-character resolution, could you point me in the right direction?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Simon
>>

>> ________________________________

Thanks for your suggestions Gé van Gasteren and cratch65535, changing the em size did nothing, the problems remain even when I set it to the max of 16384.

I think I'll have to look into other font creation software

I run the editor under FreeBSD, so there might be some
differences to your setup.  But in mine, it seems to be in
Element -> Font Info -> General, where it shows nominal values
for em size, ascent, descent, underline position, etc.  Em size
is a dropdown list, giving me a choice of 1000, 1024, 2048, and
4096.  But the field is editable, and appears willing to go up to
at least 100 000, the dependent values scaling automagically.   I
didn't try to make that value permanent because the  font is one
I'm working on, but there weren't any preliminary complaints from
FF.

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:10:24 +0000, you wrote:

>Hello, your reply managed to get into my junk folder so I completely missed it until now.
>

>I have looked through the various settings available but can't find any that reference the nominal per-character resolution, could you point me in the right direction?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Simon
>

>________________________________

Max Rabkin-2
Before you go, please consider reporting the bug in FontForge's issue tracker: https://github.com/fontforge/fontforge/issues

Developers do not always follow the users mailing list.

On 6 May 2017 at 10:10, Simon Håkansson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions Gé van Gasteren and cratch65535, changing the em size did nothing, the problems remain even when I set it to the max of 16384.

I think I'll have to look into other font creation software

I run the editor under FreeBSD, so there might be some
differences to your setup.  But in mine, it seems to be in
Element -> Font Info -> General, where it shows nominal values
for em size, ascent, descent, underline position, etc.  Em size
is a dropdown list, giving me a choice of 1000, 1024, 2048, and
4096.  But the field is editable, and appears willing to go up to
at least 100 000, the dependent values scaling automagically.   I
didn't try to make that value permanent because the  font is one
I'm working on, but there weren't any preliminary complaints from
FF.

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 10:10:24 +0000, you wrote:

>Hello, your reply managed to get into my junk folder so I completely missed it until now.
>

>I have looked through the various settings available but can't find any that reference the nominal per-character resolution, could you point me in the right direction?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Simon
>

>________________________________

Compare the positions of the Bezier control handles in
Illustrator vs FF.  Are they the same?  They should be, to
produce the same result.  If they're different, that suggests the
solution:  move the control handles in FF to match the handles in
AI.  Or just go through and adjust the handles til the strokes
look good, regardless of where the AI handles are.

Were I in your place, I'd try to solve the problem using FF. I've
used several font editors and FF offers the most control apart,
*possibly*, from the VERY expensive "professional" font editors.
FF's u/i is definitely an annoying olla podrida, and had I the
time I'd fork the source and fix that, but once you get past the
craziness, it really is a very competent editor.

On Sat, 6 May 2017 08:10:02 +0000, you wrote:

>Thanks for your suggestions Gé van Gasteren and cratch65535, changing the em size did nothing, the problems remain even when I set it to the max of 16384.
>
>I think I'll have to look into other font creation software
>

>________________________________

Pander
I had some artifacts too but cannot reproduce them with latest FF from
git and reimporting all SVG (via a script). Perhaps this might help.

Re: Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

Js jS
i had a look at the attached svg files

the problem is that the svg files use an "arc" path to draw elliptical paths

these can be approximated using cubic or quadratic curves, but require a bunch of calculations to be performed

here is a workaround:

download and install "inkscape" editor  ... https://inkscape.org/en/
import the svg file into "inkscape"
save it as an 'eps' file
import the resulting eps file into fontforge

or you can run from command line:

Inkscape -E C.eps C.svg

(it will convert C.svg to C.eps without opening inkscape ... can be used in a script to convert a number of files)

note: here is an online service that does the same thing ... https://cloudconvert.com/svg-to-eps

hope this helps

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 5:04 AM, Pander <[hidden email]> wrote:
I had some artifacts too but cannot reproduce them with latest FF from
git and reimporting all SVG (via a script). Perhaps this might help.

Re: Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

Simon Håkansson

You are a saint!

Your method worked like a charm'

I had actually entirely given up and was putting off shelling out for one of the paid programs out there, haven't worked on it since I posted here.

Inkscape must handle eps differently from illustrator, I did try exporting it as eps but was constantly hitting complexity errors, I did get complexity errors after conversion in Inkscape initially too, but checking "Convert text to paths and unchecking "Rasterize filter effects" under the eps settings did the trick. I do still get a warning about how Fontforge is "unable to parse token dict", hopefully, that won't give me problems further ahead.

Now I only need to learn how to script properly and set up a conversion script.

I am forever thankful Jaromir, I owe you.

Thanks,

Simon.

Re: Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

Js jS
here is a windows batch file that does the job

make a copy of your svg files into a temporary folder

copy svg2eps.txt file into the above mentioned temporary folder

open file in a text editor like "notepad" and edit line #9 to mach your system

rename svg2eps.txt to svg2eps.bat    ...  ( the file could not be emailed as a .bat file )

double-click svg2eps.bat file icon and it should run

new folder named "epsFiles" gets created by the script and all the generated eps files will be placed in the "epsFiles" folder.

i do not have linux running on my computer at this time, so i could not test a script that would work in linux or a mac

note: i left a bunch of "echo" commands in the file just as an example of how to use variables
        any line with "echo" can be deleted.
        first one, though ... "@echo off" supresses the listing of each command before it is executed, so you may wish to leave it in

enjoy

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 4:36 AM, Simon Håkansson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

convert SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) to EPS (Encapsulated PostScript) online with CloudConvert. Free & fast! No registration required.

svg2eps.txt (1K) Download Attachment

Re: Imported SVGs are deformed by FontForge

Simon Håkansson

I finally got your batch file to work, at first I thought it was my computer acting up but I found a bug at line 20:

FOR /F %%i in ('dir /b "*.svg"') DO CALL :convertFile %%i.

Changing this to

FOR /f %%i in ('dir /b "*.svg"') DO CALL :convertFile %%i.

The batch script works great now.

Thanks a bunch'