How to get a minimal working example for ligatures (GSUB/liga)

How to get a minimal working example for ligatures (GSUB/liga)

Jeroen Hoek
Hello,

I am a novice user of FontForge. I am trying to figure out how to define
glyph substitution tables, and have started with straightforward
ligatures (GSUB/liga), but while I seem to have managed to define a
ligature that works within FontForge (e.g., in the Metrics view), it
doesn't appear to work when I export the font to TTF, OTF, or WOFF.

Other fonts containing ligatures defined in GSUB/liga do work, such as
Gentium Plus' fi and fl ligatures.

Here is my attempt at creating a minimal working example:

  http://jeroenhoek.nl/temp/fontforge/liga_mwe.sfd

There are only two characters defined: a capital letter O (U+004F), and
a ligature for two consecutive O's defined in the Private Use Area under
U+E000.

The `liga` table contains an entry that replaces OO with my ligature.

Am I overlooking something?

Yours sincerely,

Jeroen Hoek

Re: How to get a minimal working example for ligatures (GSUB/liga)

Martin B. Brilliant
Works for me. I downloaded the SFD, generated an OTF, installed it in Mac OS X El Capitan, and used it to write a series of Os in NeoOffice. As soon as I wrote two together I got the ligature.

On Jul 20, 2017, at 2:40 PM, Jeroen Hoek <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I seem to have managed to define a
> ligature that works within FontForge (e.g., in the Metrics view), it
> doesn't appear to work when I export the font to TTF, OTF, or WOFF.
>
> Here is my attempt at creating a minimal working example:
>
>  http://jeroenhoek.nl/temp/fontforge/liga_mwe.sfd

Re: How to get a minimal working example for ligatures (GSUB/liga)

Jeroen Hoek
Thanks for testing, I appreciate it.

It would seem I am doing something wrong exporting the font, or perhaps
I am running afoul of some very persistent caching?

I tried the same SFD on a different computer today (also Ubuntu Linux,
same version as the computer where this failed, same FontForge build as
well) and the ligature does work as expected (TTF and OTF).

Are there export settings I should keep in mind for these tables to work?