How to NOT save .sfd file with number stamp?

How to NOT save .sfd file with number stamp?

Benct Philip Jonsson-2
Every time I save my .sfd files a new file <name>.sfd-<number> is
created. This is very annoying, not to mention unnecessary in the
age of git! How can I turn it off so that my changes get saved
over <name>.sfd?

TIA,

/bpj

Re: How to NOT save .sfd file with number stamp?

Frank Trampe
Hi there.

Saving over typefaces is sort of dangerous. A typeface is sufficiently complex that it's not terribly difficult for a small change to detach and thus to lose large amounts of information or to corrupt the output file (even if the save is successful), and that can destroy several months of work. We could probably add an option to the configuration file that disables this safety feature in the next month or so, but remember to commit frequently if you don't have those back-up files.

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 4:13 AM, BPJ <[hidden email]> wrote:
Every time I save my .sfd files a new file <name>.sfd-<number> is
created. This is very annoying, not to mention unnecessary in the
age of git! How can I turn it off so that my changes get saved
over <name>.sfd?

TIA,

/bpj

Re: How to NOT save .sfd file with number stamp?

Mark E. Shoulson
You ought to be able to cut down on (or eliminate?) the number of
backups by going into File→Preferences and under Generic change the
AutoSaveFrequency or the RevisionsToRetain.

~mark

On 03/04/2017 11:27 AM, Frank Trampe wrote:

> Hi there.
>
> Saving over typefaces is sort of dangerous. A typeface is sufficiently
> complex that it's not terribly difficult for a small change to detach
> and thus to lose large amounts of information or to corrupt the output
> file (even if the save is successful), and that can destroy several
> months of work. We could probably add an option to the configuration
> file that disables this safety feature in the next month or so, but
> remember to commit frequently if you don't have those back-up files.
>

> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 4:13 AM, BPJ <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Every time I save my .sfd files a new file <name>.sfd-<number> is
>     created. This is very annoying, not to mention unnecessary in the
>     age of git! How can I turn it off so that my changes get saved
>     over <name>.sfd?
>
>     TIA,
>
>     /bpj

Re: How to NOT save .sfd file with number stamp?

Dave Crossland-2
It's revisions to retain

On Mar 4, 2017 11:20 PM, "Mark E. Shoulson" <[hidden email]> wrote:
You ought to be able to cut down on (or eliminate?) the number of
backups by going into File→Preferences and under Generic change the
AutoSaveFrequency or the RevisionsToRetain.

~mark

On 03/04/2017 11:27 AM, Frank Trampe wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> Saving over typefaces is sort of dangerous. A typeface is sufficiently
> complex that it's not terribly difficult for a small change to detach
> and thus to lose large amounts of information or to corrupt the output
> file (even if the save is successful), and that can destroy several
> months of work. We could probably add an option to the configuration
> file that disables this safety feature in the next month or so, but
> remember to commit frequently if you don't have those back-up files.
>

> On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 4:13 AM, BPJ <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Every time I save my .sfd files a new file <name>.sfd-<number> is
>     created. This is very annoying, not to mention unnecessary in the
>     age of git! How can I turn it off so that my changes get saved
>     over <name>.sfd?
>
>     TIA,
>
>     /bpj

Re: How to NOT save .sfd file with number stamp?

Frank Trampe
Perfect. I've never saved over an SFD, so this was outside my area of expertise.