Quantcast

Green and blue boxes -- guide elements?

Bernard Cuzzillo
Hello font forgers,
I am honored to be your guest. I've started to familiarize myself with FF by opening an existing font. In the glyph window, there are light blue and green rectangles that seem to be burned onto the display. I've tried everything to see how to make then disappear as a way of learning how they got there. Can you tell me what these are, and how to create, edit, and remove them?

I'd sure appreciate any help!

Thanks so much,
Bernard

Re: Green and blue boxes -- guide elements?

MMacD
On Sun, 2 Apr 2017 21:24:28 -0700, you wrote:

>Hello font forgers,
>I am honored to be your guest. I've started to familiarize myself with FF
>by opening an existing font. In the glyph window, there are light blue and
>green rectangles that seem to be burned onto the display. I've tried
>everything to see how to make then disappear as a way of learning how they
>got there. Can you tell me what these are, and how to create, edit, and
>remove them?
>
>You can see them in the guide at
>https://yellowxz.gitbooks.io/designwithfontforge/content/en-US/Using_the_Fontforge_Drawing_Tools.html
>
>I'd sure appreciate any help!
>
>Thanks so much,
>Bernard

They reflect the areas controlled by hinting, autohinting if you
haven't done anything by hand.  Green is horizontal, blue
vertical.  They illustrate whether you have any unwelcome
overlaps that will cause problems with rendering.  You can get
rid of them by clearing the hints, but you probably shouldn't
unless you're sure you're going to do your own hinting by hand
(which in general is more trouble than it's worth, nowadays).