Generating TTF in Mac Latin (Roman?) Encoding

Generating TTF in Mac Latin (Roman?) Encoding

Abraham Lee
Hey, everyone!

For no other reason than "this is what a particular app expects", I need to generate a TTF with glyphs encoded per "Macintosh Latin". When I open the "reference" font, it shows "(Mac)" in the window's title bar. The SFD file is encoded correctly, but when I try to generate a binary font, it changes.

I see there are several "Generate Fonts..." type options that (I think) are relevant, including:

- TrueType (yields a .ttf)
- TrueType (MacBin) (yields a .bin)
- TrueType (Mac dfont) (yields a .dfont)

I've tried generating both a .ttf and .dfont, but the encoding gets changed to "UnicodeBMP" in both cases, which I don't want.

What am I missing? A separate setting?

Any suggestions are VERY welcome!

Best,
Abraham

Re: Generating TTF in Mac Latin (Roman?) Encoding

Dave Crossland

I think there's an encoding menu where you can set this before generating

Re: Generating TTF in Mac Latin (Roman?) Encoding

Abraham Lee
Thanks for the response, Dave.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think there's an encoding menu where you can set this before generating

There is, but that's why I'm confused. Before generating the TTF, the encoding is set to "Macintosh Latin" (showing "Mac" in the window titlebar). I generate the TTF with default options. After generating the TTF, the encoding is somehow set to "UnicodeFull". What am I doing wrong? I'm on Windows 7, using FF 20160407.

I can confirm that the line "Encoding: Mac" is shown in the SFD file, but when I open the file (with the Python API) it shows up as a "Custom" encoding instead. Is there anything that can be done?

--
Abraham

Re: Generating TTF in Mac Latin (Roman?) Encoding

Abraham Lee
I figured it out, though I'm not sure how I missed it before. The correct "Generate Fonts..." output option needed to be "TrueType (Symbol)". That was enough to maintain the "Macintosh Latin" encoding that I needed. Sorry for the noise. BTW, in case anyone was curious how to select that option in the Python API, the correct syntax is:

font.generate('filename.ttf', flags=("symbol",))

Best,
Abraham

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 9:27 AM, Abraham Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks for the response, Dave.

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:

I think there's an encoding menu where you can set this before generating

There is, but that's why I'm confused. Before generating the TTF, the encoding is set to "Macintosh Latin" (showing "Mac" in the window titlebar). I generate the TTF with default options. After generating the TTF, the encoding is somehow set to "UnicodeFull". What am I doing wrong? I'm on Windows 7, using FF 20160407.

I can confirm that the line "Encoding: Mac" is shown in the SFD file, but when I open the file (with the Python API) it shows up as a "Custom" encoding instead. Is there anything that can be done?

--
Abraham

Re: Generating TTF in Mac Latin (Roman?) Encoding

Dave Crossland
Great to know you cracked it :)