Quantcast

Generate Font Suitcase

Abraham Lee
Can FF generate a mac font suitcase file (.suit)? If it cannot, does anyone have a recommendation for an app that can on Windows? I'm on Windows 8.1 using FF version 4-Oct-2016.

Thanks,
Abraham

Re: Generate Font Suitcase

Jason Pagura
MacOS X no longer requires fonts be in suitcases. The same .otf or .ttf font files used by Windows now work natively in MacOS X. Do you mean to support legacy systems; e.g, MacOS 9 or earlier?

Windows does not support the resource/data forked file system Mac font suitcases require. To my knowledge, Fontforge does not generate Mac font suitcases, even on Macs. I have vague recollections of a program that would convert a Windows .ttf into a Mac Truetype suitcase and save it as a .sit file (Stuffit compressed), but I can't think of its name.

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 2:00 PM, Abraham Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can FF generate a mac font suitcase file (.suit)? If it cannot, does anyone have a recommendation for an app that can on Windows? I'm on Windows 8.1 using FF version 4-Oct-2016.

Thanks,
Abraham

Jason Pagura
zimbach at gmail dot com

Re: Generate Font Suitcase

Abraham Lee
Hi, Jason!

On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Jason Pagura <[hidden email]> wrote:
MacOS X no longer requires fonts be in suitcases. The same .otf or .ttf font files used by Windows now work natively in MacOS X. Do you mean to support legacy systems; e.g, MacOS 9 or earlier?

Windows does not support the resource/data forked file system Mac font suitcases require. To my knowledge, Fontforge does not generate Mac font suitcases, even on Macs. I have vague recollections of a program that would convert a Windows .ttf into a Mac Truetype suitcase and save it as a .sit file (Stuffit compressed), but I can't think of its name.

Thanks for your response and the info. I'm aware that the OS doesn't require it, but an music notation app I'm creating fonts for (Finale) might still expect it to be in that legacy format (it's been around for about 30 years now and part of it is kind of stuck in its old ways). I'm trying to get more specific details from the Finale developers to determine if this is really necessary or not. I'm hoping there's a way to use regular .otf or .ttf files. That is definitely my preference.

Best,
Abraham

Re: Generate Font Suitcase

Abraham Lee
Just thought I'd finalize this thread.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 9:25 PM, Frank Trampe <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I discovered that FF *can* generate the SUIT format via the TrueType (MacBin) option, IIRC. On Windows, this option defaults to the .TTF.BIN extension instead.

As it turns out, I was able to find a way around needing to use the SUIT format (thankfully) and use just a plain TTF instead. The issue I ran into was the customized encoding the target app was using (including alternate unicode points for each glyph), which I didn't know until I was able to open a reference SUIT font and analyze it. Anyways, it's all behind me now and I'm happy that I can just use the TTF format because that means I can generate the needed fonts in FF on any platform!

All the best,
Abraham