FontForge test resources/procedures, for SVG or other areas?

FontForge test resources/procedures, for SVG or other areas?

Thomas Shinnick
I'm trying to make it possible to import SVG font files that use *stroked* characters, rather than complete outlined characters.  Once done, I can then programmatically apply modifications to the imported characters (all 1080+), such as flipping vertically and the excellent expandStroke().

I have this working with only two small changes, but one of these _could_ be a "breaking change", as it alters (corrects according to the argument I'll make) the way that fontforge/svg.c handles open paths on SVG import.

Having peeked at the testing available with "make check" I rather fear that nothing good _or_ bad can be proved about my proposed changes.  I face the problem of how I can _show_ the change won't produce unexpected results for the general user.

Has there been talk about improving FF testing in general?  Or in individual areas such as SVG?

In researching the particular topic I came across the test pages at
      http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/Test/20110816/harness/htmlSVGWeb/index.html

I note that the Inkscape guy knows about these and has consulted them at
      http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/W3C_SVG/htmlInkscapeHarness/full-index.html

These might serve as source material.  But I'd love to hear how people have considered validating successful imports or successful exports.

Re: FontForge test resources/procedures, for SVG or other areas?

Dave Crossland
FontForge was written for 10 years with no test; we are starting to add them but not systematically; you are free to submit pull requests and if it compiles and meets a basic code review by one of the regulars, we'll merge it! :) If people complain we'll figure out what to do then :)

Re: FontForge test resources/procedures, for SVG or other areas?

Frank Trampe
As Dave says, submitting a pull request is probably the best way to get this reviewed once you have something that works for you.