Double Diacritic Marks in Unifont 10.0.04

Double Diacritic Marks in Unifont 10.0.04

Paul Hardy
Dear FontForge Community,

It was brought to my attention that earlier version of Unifont were
not correctly positioning double diacritic marks, such as
U+035C..U+0362.  You can see renderings of Unifont 10.0.04 version of
these glyphs with combining circles added at

http://unifoundry.com/png/plane00/uni0003.png

You can download the Unicode Plane 0 TrueType file containing those
double diacritic marks at

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/unifont/unifont-10.0.04/unifont-10.0.04.ttf

or

http://unifoundry.com/pub/unifont-10.0.04/font-builds/unifont-10.0.04.ttf

I encoded the double diacritic marks in FontForge such that they have
a width of zero, the glyphs are 16 pixels across, and they are
positioned half-way across the previous character and half-way across
the following character.  That is how the Unicode Standard says they
should be typed and positioned: <first-letter> <double-diacritic>
<second-letter>.

When I tried these glyphs in several applications, only one of them
positioned these glyphs as expected.  LibreOffice version 5.3 under
Mac OS X El Capitan did not position the glyphs correctly, and
LibreOffice version 5.7 on Debian GNU/Linux exhibited even worse
behavior.

I would like an opinion from the FontForge community as to whether or
not I have encoded positioning information for these double diacritics
correctly.  If I have, then there are bugs in the rendering engines
that several applications use.  In that case, I will communicate that
to maintainers of those applications.  Examining the range
U+035C..U+0362 should be enough, as any other marks like that I
encoded the same way.

If the error is with Unifont, I would also like to know so that I can
correct it in a new release.

Thank you for lending your expert eyes to this!

Paul Hardy

Re: Double Diacritic Marks in Unifont 10.0.04

Paul Hardy
On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Paul Hardy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear FontForge Community,
>
> It was brought to my attention that earlier version of Unifont were
> not correctly positioning double diacritic marks, such as
> U+035C..U+0362.  You can see renderings of Unifont 10.0.04 version of
> these glyphs with combining circles added at
>
> http://unifoundry.com/png/plane00/uni0003.png

Someone has identified a problem with this version of the font.  I
will fix it in the next version and ask for examination of that when
it is released.

Thank you,

Paul Hardy