Character appears white after SVG import

Character appears white after SVG import

tpalmerstudios
I am working on creating a font based on my handwriting in fontforge on Arch Linux. I use GIMP paths to create my letter and then export them as SVG files. The problem is when I import them as a letter into fontforge, they show up blank. The letter editing window shows the letter outline with handles to move the curves, etc. When I go back to the main page where it shows all the letters. I get a white box instead of a box with a cross in it or a letter written there. The head of each box I have imported is blue. Running fontforge and GIMP on Arch Linux 4.4.1 (Kernel Version) That is an image of the 5 letters inserted.

Re: Character appears white after SVG import

tpalmerstudios
Ok, So the problem is the direction of the curves. They are facing erach other. How can I select a point and turn the direction. (I know how to use the GIMP not fontforge. Although I wouldn't mind learning.)

Tim Palmer from PalmerStudios

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 6:41 PM, tpalmerstudios <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am working on creating a font based on my handwriting in fontforge on Arch Linux. I use GIMP paths to create my letter and then export them as SVG files. The problem is when I import them as a letter into fontforge, they show up blank. The letter editing window shows the letter outline with handles to move the curves, etc. When I go back to the main page where it shows all the letters. I get a white box instead of a box with a cross in it or a letter written there. The head of each box I have imported is blue. Running fontforge and GIMP on Arch Linux 4.4.1 (Kernel Version) That is an image of the 5 letters inserted.

Re: Character appears white after SVG import

marty39
Looks as though you might have an open path, because if you only had paths in the wrong direction you would see something. In the glyph view (where it shows the outlines of the 'a') the "Element" menu will help.

In that menu, scroll down to "Find Problems." For this job, just go to the "Paths" tab and check the items for open paths, intersecting paths and outermost path clockwise, and click "OK." If you get an error message and can't see the selected points, click on the top of the glyph window (to make sure it's active) and then zoom in by hitting '+' and you should be able to see where the problem is. Sometimes intersecting paths are crossing when they come out of a corner node; that can be hard to find.

To make sure the paths are in the right direction, click on a point in a path and in that same menu look down and you will see the path direction check marked, and if it's wrong you can just click on the right direction. If the path is open or intersecting, there's no clockwise or counterclockwise, just an option to reverse direction, and then you have to "Find Problems."

The blue header just means the glyph has been changed since you last saved the .SFD file; the "cross in it" means the glyph has never been defined (or it has been undefined by "Encoding / Detach and remove glyph"). The "main page where you see all the letters" is called the "font view" as opposed to the "glyph view" where you see the outlines of individual glyphs. They're not called "letters" because some of them are diacritics or punctuation marks, and they're not called "characters" because the same glyph could represent different characters ('A', "Alpha" and Cyrillic 'A') and sometimes there are alternate glyphs for the same character. Some of us can get real fussy about terminology.

I can't say I know how to use Fontforge. I learned how to get results from Fontforge by struggling with it. I hope you get to where you enjoy working with it as I finally did.

Re: Character appears white after SVG import

tpalmerstudios
Thanks marty39. I figured out the problem. When I import the SVG, The path is duplicated for some reason. Obviously when two paths are less than one pixel away from each other there is not going to be much black. So, the solution for me was to double click on one of the paths and press delete. If there is a letter like O that has 2 paths, you must select the right one. That was the only solution I have found.
On another note, you said you don't really know how to use fontforge... I have heard this from many people. Are there no books on it? I have not been able to find very much quality information on it... e.g. all my letters appear monospace. And I can't find anything on it.

On Sat, Feb 6, 2016 at 8:31 PM, marty39 [via Fontforge] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://fontforge.10959.n7.nabble.com/Character-appears-white-after-SVG-import-tp14973p14975.html
To unsubscribe from Character appears white after SVG import, click here.
NAML

Joe

On February 8, 2016 02:52:34 PM tpalmerstudios wrote:
> On another note, you said you don't really know how to use fontforge...
> I have heard this from many people. Are there no books on it? I have
> not been able to find very much quality information on it... e.g. all
> my letters appear monospace. And I can't find anything on it.

I haven't looked at any of this yet, but there are several people
working on documentation here:
https://github.com/fontforge/designwithfontforge.com

The visual/readable results of the work above is shown here:
http://designwithfontforge.com/en-US/index.html

If you see errors or possible improvemnts, go to the first link above.