Are overlapping corners in a ttf valid?

TheScripts
Hello,

I'm currently trying to create a pixel based font and have created all of the required glyphs. I would now like to generate a ttf file; however, I get multiple "Self Intersecting" validation errors.

I know that many of the outlines for my characters have overlapping corners, but since I want the characters to seem like they are made from squares/blocks/pixels, it seems necessary for me to do so.

Example:  (background and text colors are interchanged).

I have gone ahead and generated the ttf file anyways and have tested the font and it seem to work.

My questions are:
- Is it alright if I ignore these errors and generate/use the font anyways?
- Are there any possible issues that may arise from doing so?

Thank you,
TheScripts

Re: Are overlapping corners in a ttf valid?

Dave Crossland

If the directions are set uniformly you shouldn't see basic rendering problems but you may see more subtle issues

Example:  <http://fontforge.10959.n7.nabble.com/file/n15129/uni0041.png>
(background and text colors are interchanged).

I have gone ahead and generated the ttf file anyways and have tested the
font and it seem to work.

My questions are:
- Is it alright if I ignore these errors and generate/use the font anyways?
- Are there any possible issues that may arise from doing so?

Thank you,
TheScripts

Re: Are overlapping corners in a ttf valid?

TheScripts
Thank you for the response.

I've done a fair bit of testing with the generating font and haven't seen any issues; so I'm happy enough with the results and am fine with ignoring the errors.

Re: Are overlapping corners in a ttf valid?

Dave Crossland

Cool :)