Quantcast

Add python packages to included python library

Add python packages to included python library

Abraham Lee
All,

First off, Happy New Year, everyone! 2016 was exciting and productive and I hope 2017 will be so as well.

I extensively use FontForge's included python library (Windows 7, 8.1, 10) to automate many tasks, but I'm finding that I would really benefit from packages such as Numpy, Scipy, etc. in order to perform more complex numerical operations.

My question can be asked two different ways, but the root of it is that I would like to be able to make FF see Numpy/Scipy somehow:

1) Has anyone installed Numpy or Scipy so that FF's python binaries can find them?

2) Has anyone made FF's python binaries available to the native Python installation?

I hope that makes sense, but please ask for clarification if needed. Thank you anyone and all for your help.

Best,
Abraham Lee
Music Type Foundry

Re: Add python packages to included python library

Dave Crossland-2

On Jan 3, 2017 6:29 PM, "Abraham Lee" <[hidden email]> wrote:
All,

First off, Happy New Year, everyone! 2016 was exciting and productive and I hope 2017 will be so as well.

Yes, happy new year 🎉

I extensively use FontForge's included python library (Windows 7, 8.1, 10) to automate many tasks, but I'm finding that I would really benefit from packages such as Numpy, Scipy, etc. in order to perform more complex numerical operations.

Awesome 🎳

My question can be asked two different ways, but the root of it is that I would like to be able to make FF see Numpy/Scipy somehow:

1) Has anyone installed Numpy or Scipy so that FF's python binaries can find them?

You could look at how flat was bundled in the past; I'm not sure if jtanx ever bundled it in the windows builds though

2) Has anyone made FF's python binaries available to the native Python installation?

At least on osx and GNU, there are 2 separate pythons for FF, the internal one accessed via the FF executable (with or without GUI) and the external one accessed from the native Python (always necessarily no GUI).

Again not sure if the latter was ever packaged for Windows

I hope that makes sense, but please ask for clarification if needed. Thank you anyone and all for your help.

Best,
Abraham Lee
Music Type Foundry

Re: Add python packages to included python library

Abraham Lee
Thanks, Dave! I just realized I never responded...

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 3:40 PM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:

I extensively use FontForge's included python library (Windows 7, 8.1, 10) to automate many tasks, but I'm finding that I would really benefit from packages such as Numpy, Scipy, etc. in order to perform more complex numerical operations.

Awesome 🎳

Wow, such enthusiasm! I hope I can get it working...

My question can be asked two different ways, but the root of it is that I would like to be able to make FF see Numpy/Scipy somehow:

1) Has anyone installed Numpy or Scipy so that FF's python binaries can find them?

You could look at how flat was bundled in the past; I'm not sure if jtanx ever bundled it in the windows builds though

Sorry, I'm not sure what "flat" is. This one perhaps?: http://xxyxyz.org/flat

Is "jtanx" a person? Thanks for your patience with my ignorance.

2) Has anyone made FF's python binaries available to the native Python installation?

At least on osx and GNU, there are 2 separate pythons for FF, the internal one accessed via the FF executable (with or without GUI) and the external one accessed from the native Python (always necessarily no GUI).

Again not sure if the latter was ever packaged for Windows

If it were, how would I know or get it?

Thanks,
Abraham