[ANN] Launch of Music Type Foundry

Abraham Lee
All,

I just thought you might find it interesting to know that I recently launched a new type foundry dedicated to music notation fonts:  www.musictypefoundry.com

My main workflow uses only FontForge (both via GUI and the Python interface) for glyph editing and font building and I occasionally use Inkscape to preprocess some things prior to importing shapes to FF.

My thanks goes out to all users/developers who have helped get FontForge to where it is today!

Best,
Abraham Lee

P.S. Any feedback about the website itself is very welcome. It's meant to be simplistic and doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the bigger type foundry sites, though that would be nice.

Re: [ANN] Launch of Music Type Foundry

Dave Crossland
Hi

Nice :) I hope in the future if this venture is successful you might make a donation to the libre font fund (may be tax deductible in the US) or a FF developer directly :)

For the website, I suggest to focus on your funnels and optimizing conversion; if you're new to these terms, the book "Convert" by Ben Hunt is pretty good.

On 19 September 2016 at 17:10, Abraham Lee <[hidden email]> wrote:
All,

I just thought you might find it interesting to know that I recently launched a new type foundry dedicated to music notation fonts:  www.musictypefoundry.com

My main workflow uses only FontForge (both via GUI and the Python interface) for glyph editing and font building and I occasionally use Inkscape to preprocess some things prior to importing shapes to FF.

My thanks goes out to all users/developers who have helped get FontForge to where it is today!

Best,
Abraham Lee

P.S. Any feedback about the website itself is very welcome. It's meant to be simplistic and doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the bigger type foundry sites, though that would be nice.

Cheers
Dave

Re: [ANN] Launch of Music Type Foundry

Federico Bruni
Il giorno lun 19 set 2016 alle 17:10, Abraham Lee
<[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> P.S. Any feedback about the website itself is very welcome. It's
> meant to be simplistic and doesn't have all the bells and whistles of
> the bigger type foundry sites, though that would be nice.

I don't like the background image because it's out of focus. I feel
like my eyes are not working well and I don't like this feeling. If you
want to "push it back", use a transparent overlay.

Good luck with this project!

<[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> P.S. Any feedback about the website itself is very welcome. It's
> meant to be simplistic and doesn't have all the bells and whistles of
> the bigger type foundry sites, though that would be nice.

I don't like the background image because it's out of focus. I feel
like my eyes are not working well and I don't like this feeling. If you
want to "push it back", use a transparent overlay.

The intent there was to keep the actual site content in focus, but if that is bothersome, perhaps I will just remove the background all together.

Good luck with this project!

Thank you!

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Dave Crossland <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

Nice :) I hope in the future if this venture is successful you might make a donation to the libre font fund (may be tax deductible in the US) or a FF developer directly :)

I am already a monthly contributor ;-) It's not as much as I'd like, at the moment, but that just might increase if things pick up for me.

For the website, I suggest to focus on your funnels and optimizing conversion; if you're new to these terms, the book "Convert" by Ben Hunt is pretty good.

Thank you! I'll definitely look it up. I know I've already got some things to work on, so I'm sure this will be a great asset.

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 8:20 PM, Alvin Wong <[hidden email]> wrote:
I see you listed LilyPond, Finale, Sibelius and Dorico on the site, but how about MuseScore? I guess MuseScore 2 follows the SMuFL standard but I think it certainly deserves attention too.

I completely agree, but unfortunately it's beyond my control. Those who steer the MuseScore ship have made it quite clear that using _external_ music fonts are not an option. The reason for this is that they would rather focus on true portability, limiting the music fonts to those compiled *into* the program when the binaries are built so that anyone who opens a MuseScore file won't have to worry about having a particular 3rd party font or not to render the score correctly. Until they change that mantra, I'm afraid supporting MuseScore directly isn't an option, as much as I'd like to.

The only alternative (and I have done this just to be sure) is for a user to build MS from source such that it includes the desired 3rd party font in their own build, but no one else will be able to open the file and have it render properly unless it is exported as a PDF.

Great idea, though! I suppose that if there were enough users who cried out against this, that might change things. Until then...

Best,
Abraham

Joe

Re: [ANN] Launch of Music Type Foundry

Joe
Good luck with your music foundry.
Thanks for making us aware of it.

Reading the comment about the background image (below) reminds me of
someone mentioning the same thing about my website (nonsense for the fun of
it), but what the person mentioned was that the background image made the
text hard to read.  At first, I was puzzled, but then noted that there are
certain angles that you can notice it can be hard to read depending on the
type of monitor used, particularly some types of LCD monitors.

therefore, forwarding you the same/similar advice....maybe putting text on
a plain background can/will help some readers.

Second point...
100% of the customers I've seen, you'll have sufficient details forwarded to
you sent by Paypal, therefore asking for the details on your webpage just
gives your customer more work that isn't necessary, plus cannot be verified
(hint: I used name '.' '.' address '.' etc).

Cheers,
Joe

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 10:26 PM, Jose Da Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
Reading the comment about the background image (below) reminds me of
someone mentioning the same thing about my website (nonsense for the fun of
it), but what the person mentioned was that the background image made the
text hard to read.  At first, I was puzzled, but then noted that there are
certain angles that you can notice it can be hard to read depending on the
type of monitor used, particularly some types of LCD monitors.

therefore, forwarding you the same/similar advice....maybe putting text on
a plain background can/will help some readers.

Done.

Second point...
100% of the customers I've seen, you'll have sufficient details forwarded to
you sent by Paypal, therefore asking for the details on your webpage just
gives your customer more work that isn't necessary, plus cannot be verified
(hint: I used name '.' '.' address '.' etc).

I appreciate the feedback, but I'm not sure what you are specifically referring to. Do you mean when folks create an account on the site?

Joe

On September 20, 2016 06:55:33 AM Abraham Lee wrote:
> I appreciate the feedback, but I'm not sure what you are specifically
> referring to. Do you mean when folks create an account on the site?

Many people likely don't care, but from my point of view - At the time I
tried, I was required to input information to be able to use paypal. I do
not like creating accounts on non-https webpages, and I do not like
inputting personal data on non-https pages that go into paypal.

On Tue, Sep 20, 2016 at 10:35 PM, Jose Da Silva <[hidden email]> wrote:
On September 20, 2016 06:55:33 AM Abraham Lee wrote:
> I appreciate the feedback, but I'm not sure what you are specifically
> referring to. Do you mean when folks create an account on the site?

Many people likely don't care, but from my point of view - At the time I
tried, I was required to input information to be able to use paypal. I do
not like creating accounts on non-https webpages, and I do not like
inputting personal data on non-https pages that go into paypal.

Ah! You point is well taken and I completely understand. I should definitely look into that. Thanks for bringing it up!